“When moms thrive, children thrive.” Mom2Mom Child Poverty Initiative works to improve the lives of children by supporting their mothers. Understanding the social isolation that too often accompanies poverty in our city, Mom2Mom’s program focuses on building positive relationships and a strong community for low-income moms and their families. We pair low-income Vancouver mothers with volunteers who offer non-judgmental friendship and provide a listening ear to help moms gain confidence, make connections, find opportunities and meet basic needs. Mom2Mom currently serves 62 mothers with 115 children, and has a dedicated corps of 90 volunteers.
We’re looking for an inspiring leader who wants a meaningful job helping to lift lives. Our Executive Director will have the ability to manage the business elements of a small nonprofit while collaborating with an experienced board and a talented staff of 4. You’ll manage day-to-day operations effectively within a current budget of $400,000, drive fundraising, and execute Mom2Mom’s vision and strategic plan.
We are seeking an ED who can take our successful model to the next level, bringing community, staff and board together with an inclusive, strength-based approach, a positive outlook, strong fundraising experience, and the capability to manage an organization for sustainability.
You’ll be joining Mom2Mom at a good time. Since 2012, we’ve built a vibrant community of mothers and children who support one another through a strength-based approach. Regular program evaluations indicate that Mom2Mom has a significant, positive impact on families. In the past year, we have honed the program to make it more efficient, and are looking to enhance the depth of service we offer moms and children, and the support we provide volunteers. We hope to increase the number of participating mothers by about 10% per year.
The Executive Director is a full-time job (40 hours/week), compensated at $60,000-73,000 depending on experience, and located in the SpencerCreo Centre, 610 Main Street, Vancouver.
Executive Director Position
Reporting to the Board of Directors (BOD), the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the overall management and operation of Mom2Mom, in keeping with the society's mission, vision and objectives. The ED will coordinate efforts to accomplish our goals by planning, organizing and mobilizing resources efficiently and effectively, while creating an organizational structure for Mom2Mom that will accommodate growth. The ideal candidate brings strong communication and interpersonal skills, strong fundraising experience, the ability to work in collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders, and knowledge of poverty related issues as they pertain to women and children. As over 60% of our program participants are Indigenous, experience with reconciliation, decolonization and working with Indigenous populations will be vital to succeeding in this role.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement the organizational fundraising plan in collaboration with the BOD.
- Work within the individual, charitable foundation, corporate and government sectors to identify opportunities, prioritize and apply to potential funding sources to achieve Mom2Mom’s annual budget goals.
- Establish and maintain relationships with funding sources and prepare funding/grant proposals and reports.
- Oversee fundraising activities including annual giving campaigns, stewardship activities, third party fundraising activities and peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the society.
- Work with staff and board to develop a three-year strategic plan, then guide an annual planning process to develop budgets and determine operational needs incorporating the goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the society.
- Ensure that the operation of the society meets the expectation of its participants (moms, families, volunteers), partners, BOD and funders.
- Ensure proper recording and analysis of organizational information in database by all Mom2Mom staff.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the society's programs and services.
In collaboration with the staff team, ensure that the programs and services offered by Mom2Mom are strength-based, driven by the needs of participant families, contribute to the organization's mission and desired impact, and reflect the strategic priorities of the Board.
- Support the program staff in the delivery of the programs and services to families and with volunteers, continuously looking for opportunities to improve quality or explore new ideas.
- With staff input and the Board Treasurer’s collaboration, develop an annual budget of approximately $400,000. Manage revenue and expenses within the budget, monitor cash flow, and provide regular reports to the Board.
- Work with book-keeper to manage accounts payable. Administer employee payroll and related tax forms.
- Work with financial staff and Board Treasurer to develop annual financial statements and reporting obligations to CRA, provincial authorities and funders.
- Lead the Mom2Mom staff complement with a collaborative, strength-based approach.
- Ensure that Mom2Mom operates in accordance with best practices in employment standards and complies with privacy legislation and regulations.
- Develop and implement human resources policies.
- With the board’s agreement, and as needed, recruit staff with appropriate abilities to serve the society's mission.
- Engage with all members of the Mom2Mom community, including participant moms, volunteers and staff to build community and deliver quality programming.
- Assist the Board of Directors in governing the society according to Mom2Mom’s by-laws, and in compliance with the Societies Act and other provincial and federal legislation.
- Set, organize and support regular Board meetings with the BOD as well as annual strategic planning sessions and the Annual General Meeting.
- Participate with the board in developing or refining and executing Mom2Mom’s vision and strategic plan.
- Identify, assess and inform the board on a timely basis of internal and external issues that affect the society.
- Gather, interpret and articulate information to the BOD about community trends and resources as they relate to enhancing the Board's capacity for effective communication, decision-making and long-term planning regarding how best to support women and children involved in Mom2Mom.
COMMUNICATIONS, COMMUNITY & ADVOCACY
- Supervise and manage Mom2Mom communications to secure and sustain Mom2Mom’s brand identity and consistency.
- Ensure regular communications to all Mom2Mom stakeholder audiences to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify opportunities and changes in the community served by the society.
- Oversee Mom2Mom website, social media accounts, video production and donor reports.
- Use media releases and leverage stakeholder relationships to promote awareness and interest in Mom2Mom.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the society.
- In collaboration with the Board, act as a spokesperson for the society and represent the society at community activities to enhance the society's community profile.
- University degree in a related field, or commensurate expertise based on lived and work/volunteer experience
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations.
- Strong fundraising experience, including developing annual campaigns and managing a major gift portfolio
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the society including experience working with people living in poverty, cultural safety and trauma aware practice, and ability to be flexible when necessary to respond to situations that can arise when working with populations in situations of vulnerability
- A demonstrated commitment to reconciliation and decolonization
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations would be an asset, including: employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, and taxation.
- Familiarity with social media, Excel and other digital applications, including donor software such as Keela
- Strategic thinker. Problem solver.
Mom2Mom is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity and inclusion. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person. We welcome applicants to self-identify in their application.