Position Type: Full-time Contract
Number of Positions: 1
Reporting to: Controller, Finance Department
Years of Experience: 1+
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Receives and prepares all invoices for payment, ensuring that that Procurement Policy is always adhered to.
- Reviews invoices for appropriate authorization and verifies that supporting documentation is provided.
- Follows up with the supervisor and/or vendor regarding discrepancies.
- Ensures that all invoices are correctly allocated to the appropriate program.
- Posts supplier invoices into Sage following established procedures.
- Ensures that vendors are paid in a timely fashion, conferring with Controller regarding cash flow.
- Responds to vendor inquiries regarding status of invoice payment.
- Reviews and reconciles monthly supplier statements to posted records. Contacts vendors to request outstanding invoices or to resolve discrepancies.
- Reconciles Sage aged payables report to the general ledger. Resolves difference if out of balance.
- Ensures that all invoices are posted to the correct accounting period.
- Verifies accuracy of HST amounts and allocates to correct accounts for future remittance / reimbursement. Tracks self-assessment where necessary.
- Prepares and reconciles HST remittances, reconciling to the general ledger and ensuring compliance with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) legislation and deadlines.
- Keeps current with new developments in HST legislation.
- Monitors and reconciles cash advances.
- Manages and maintains corporate credit card program in collaboration with Controller.
- Ensures that staff follow correct procedures for ordering supplies; places Finance supplies orders, ensuring that expenditures are within budget.
- Provides documentation and answers questions as requested during the annual audit process by the external auditors.
- Maintains complete and accurate files, accessible to other Finance Team staff for reference.
- Provides office support and vacation relief, as necessary, for the Finance Team.
- Performs other general accounting duties as required.
Qualifications/ Skills Required:
- Successful completion of post-secondary education – working towards a Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) designation is an asset.
- One years’ previous accounting experience, including account reconciliation and tracking and monitoring of expenses.
- Proven knowledge of Sage accounting software, Windows, Microsoft Office.
- Proficient in the development, design and use of advanced Excel spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of Canadian GAAP, GST & Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) and Income Tax Act legislation.
- Proven knowledge of Employment Standards Act (ESA), and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Excellent detail orientation and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Must have good verbal/written communication skills.
- Must have outstanding customer service and interpersonal communication skills when dealing with Funders, partners, staff and other interested parties.