Job Title: Recreation Leader
Terms: Part-Time Seasonal
Wage: $13.85 based on qualifications and experience
Reports to: Aleisha Gialleonardo, Child and Youth Supervisor
Shifts: Daytime, Evening and Weekend shifts
The YMCA of Northern BC serves 20,000 people of all abilities, backgrounds, and stages of life in Prince George and Northern British Columbia. We are a growing, multi-service association that offers health, fitness, and recreation, licensed childcare, rehabilitation services, community support services, and summer camp.
The YMCA of Northern BC offers competitive wages and part-time employees are eligible for a complementary Adult Membership. The YMCA offers the opportunity to join a strong and exuberant team in a workplace that embraces respect, honesty, caring, and responsibility.
The Recreation Leader reports to the Centre Manager with functional accountability to the Child and Youth Programs Supervisor. Recreation Leaders are responsible for the supervision and facilitation of YMCA programs. Working with staff and volunteers, you will be responsible for facilitating YMCA activities and programs.
The Recreation Leader will demonstrate responsible leadership by exhibiting model character at all times. The individual will be fun, enthusiastic, and energetic as well as display the YMCA core values of Honesty, Caring, Respect, and. Responsibility. They will establish and maintain positive communication with parents, staff and program partners, maintain confidentiality of all information in relation to summer programs, maintain a daily communication log and follow association policies and procedures.
In this role, you will work with volunteers and staff to deliver programs. YMCA programs and services are values based and focused on encouraging all participants to reach their potential. This position requires a strong understanding of recreation programs, services, and community engagement and working with a wide variety of age groups:
- Children and youth programs are developed within the YMCA’s national framework of Healthy Child Development and Healthy Adolescent Development. Programs are aligned with the Canadian Sport for Life Long-Term Athlete Development framework to ensure children and youth are building the appropriate skills to stay active for life.
- Functional accountability to the Child and Youth Programs Supervisor, who will establish work schedules, provide direct support, and supervise performance.
- Reports to the Centre Manager.
- Work within established guidelines and policies as per the YMCA to ensure that confidentiality, safety, quality, concern for the environment and health and are in compliance with relevant government regulations and laws at all times.
- Be familiar with and utilize YMCA Best Practices for delivery of programs and services.
Emphasis on Responsible Leadership:
The Recreation Leader must understand the importance of safety and must demonstrate so through responsible leadership by exhibiting model character at all times as they share their love for recreation activities and learning in delivering and furthering the success of YMCA Programs, meeting and exceeding all targets and timelines.
In addition, the Recreation Leader must:
- Be in accordance with all Provincial and YMCA standards, policies and procedures to assist in the development and delivery of a variety of age-appropriate activities that have a high impact, are enriching, and integrate YMCA Core Values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility.
- Demonstrate by example and communicate effectively to enforce safety regulations to all ages and skill levels and to assist children or staff when applicable.
- Interact directly with children in a positive manner while guiding and redirecting situations when conflicts arise.
- Establish and maintain positive daily communication with all parents.
- Ensure physical and emotional needs of children are met and manage behaviours according to procedure.
- Maintain a safe, neat, orderly and clean environment of all activity areas
- Perform set-up and take down of equipment and general cleaning duties as required
- Demonstrate and role model appropriate behaviour at all times.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information and keep accurate program records.
- Maintain regular attendance, punctuality and to be appropriately prepared for all activities.
- Attend all staff trainings and regular program development meetings as required.
- Share a passion for learning and the outdoors while integrating and promoting healthy child development
- Contribute flexibly as a team member to achieve goals, specifically to ensure Recreational Summer Programs are both a memorable experience for all children and that this is their best summer yet!
- Leadership/Organizing – Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term goals. Ability to create and build relationships.
- Problem Solving – Ability to identify an issue, gathers and processes relevant information, determine possible solutions, selects appropriate responses and implements and evaluates them.
- Service Strategy – Ability to identify the needs and wants of members/participants as a priority and respond in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person’s YMCA experience.
- Initiative/Enthusiasm/Innovation – Ability to manage and lead in order to achieve and exceed identified goals.
- Teamwork – Participates in a team for organizational effectiveness
- Negotiation/Communication/Interpersonal Skills: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results.
Qualifications and Assets
- Minimum age: 16 years
- Physical ability to perform the tasks.
- Three satisfactory professional references.
- Clear criminal record check and vulnerable sector search
- Training and/or leadership experience with children and/or youth and families
- BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- Wilderness First Aid or any First Aid ticket
- Basic knowledge of computer applications including Word and Excel
HOW TO APPLY:
This posting will remain open until the successful candidate is found.
Please submit the following documents (applications that do not include all of the following items will be considered incomplete):
We thank you for your application however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.