The British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA), a not for profit organization, plays a central role in leading the enrichment and improvement of the quality of life of British Columbians and their communities. We do this by championing the power of recreation and parks.
Ours is a story of creating community connectedness and individual well-being based on the knowledge and recognition that recreation and active living, as well as access to parks and the natural environment, have significant impacts on our physical and mental health.
Since 1958, we have provided leadership, training and support, fostering the principles of accessibility and inclusiveness, to help our members meet provincial and local health and physical activity priorities that improve the quality of life of every British Columbian.
We are seeking a full-time Events Coordinator whose primary responsibility is organizing our four annual conferences and other educational and training offerings. In addition, the role will support special projects as they arise.
Responsibilities of the Events Coordinator:
This role requires strong project management skills, effective time management, and the ability to work across all departments. The Event Coordinator is pivotal to the success of BCRPA’s delivery of its education initiatives.
- Coordinate all logistics of conferences including venues, AV, catering, speakers, registration, volunteers, and all on-site responsibilities
- Lead conference committee planning meetings, providing agendas and minutes
- Assist in creating and monitoring budgets for programs and events, and ensure we meet targets
- Conduct event/program evaluation and write reports
- Provide the communication department with strategic information to promote programs, workshops, conferences and events
- Respond to inquiries pertaining to events hosted by the Education and the Physical Activity departments
- Contribute to the staff team in the implementation of the strategic plan
- Performing related duties as needed
Required skills and knowledge:
- Proven ability to plan and organize large scale, multi-day conferences and events
- Proven high level administrative skills with impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a busy office environment with periods of high volume
- High degree of resourcefulness, ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Proven ability to promote and evaluate a variety of events and educational training programs
- Experience organizing and facilitating committee meetings, both staff and volunteer based
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Experience developing and maintaining budgets
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective collaborative relationships
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, databases etc.)
- Professional, friendly, and highly motivated team player with a positive attitude
Required training and experience:
- University degree or college diploma in recreation or related field
- Experience in event and program planning
Terms of Employment:
- Full-time work to begin as soon as candidate is hired. Candidate must be available to attend our flagship conference in Victoria April 28-May 1st.
- The full-time position becomes permanent following the successful completion of =a three-month probationary period to be determined through a performance review.
- The annual rate of pay is $45,000 plus benefits. Work week is 35 hours. Office hours are 8:30am – 4:30pm, with one hour off for lunch. Overtime and weekend work will be required for events.