The Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority (CLOCA) is seeking a summer student for the position of Wetland Monitoring Assistant. The Assistant will work primarily with the Wetland Biologist on a long-term project, the Durham Region Coastal Wetland Monitoring Project.
Wage Rate per Hour: $18.98 per hour Hours per Week: 35.
May 4th to August 28, 2020 (17 Weeks)
The field component of this position involves canoeing, wading through wetlands in chestwaders (conditions can be hot and buggy) and hiking through dense vegetation. The assistant will aid in the completion of bird and amphibian surveys using Marsh Monitoring Protocols, the collection of water quality measurements, as well as the completion of submerged aquatic vegetation surveys and fish sampling. Additional work may include Ecological Land Classification fieldwork and assisting other summer staff with monitoring various aquatic and terrestrial biological communities.
The work will be primarily in the field (approximately 70%) with the remaining time spent on various duties in the office (e.g. data entry). The Assistant must be able to work flexible hours to help with bird and amphibian surveys.
QUALIFICATIONS - The following are mandatory:
• University or college student specializing in biology/ecology/environmental science
• Experience completing fieldwork and using field equipment
• Experience collecting water quality measurements
• Canoeing experience
• Ability to complete a variety of monitoring tasks with minimal supervision
• Wetland plant identification skills
• Computer skills, including Microsoft Office
• Pleasure Craft Operators Card
• Valid Ontario driver's license and transportation to the CLOCA office
• Student must provide and wear green patch safety boots. Other required safety equipment as prescribed in the Health & Safety Manual is provided by the employer
The following are desirable, but not mandatory:
• Frog call identification skills
• Bird identification skills
• Experience using a handheld GPS
• Current first aid/CPR certification
To be eligible, you must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment; have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment (international students are not eligible); and, have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Central Lake Ontario Conservation is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code. CLOCA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!