We are looking for motivated, determined, and passionate people to join our team!
The John Howard Society of the Lower Mainland (JHS) is a non-profit organization which provides the opportunity to work with purpose, and impact change in your community. Our team is empowered to be creative, explore innovative solutions, and collaborate to provide the best support and services to the people and communities we serve.
We are a dynamic, innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all. We do this through a continuum of programs which provide assistance with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services, with the goal of helping individuals achieve greater independence.
The Manager of Human Resources will lead the development and implementation of effective, impactful, and sustainable Human Resources systems and ongoing practices across the agency. This position will also make transferable Human Resources initiatives available across the province.
Monday to Friday, 0900-1700, 40 hours per week (Full Time).
This position requires the ability to work flexible hours based on operational needs
Recruitment and Retention
- Leads the development and manage the organization’s recruitment strategic direction
- Ensures all organizational recruitment needs are being met
- Develops, oversees, and ensures the execution of the agency’s retention strategy
- Leads, develops, and maintains the organization’s succession plan strategy
- Develops and manages the agency’s annual onboarding strategy, ensuring best practices are being maintained agency-wide
Performance Management & Labour Relations
- Leads and manages the organization’s Performance Management systems for unionized and exempt employees
- Reviews and updates the organization’s Accountability-Based Management (ABM) program
- Ensures best practice is being maintained agency-wide and consult with managers when needed
- Guides discipline and labour relation processes following the collective agreement where applicable
- Acts as the employer’s main point of contact with Union
- Is a permanent member of the organization’s Labor Relations Committee
Policies & Procedures
- Creates, manages, and keeps up to date any agency policies that have been assigned to this role
Workplace Health and Safety
- Assists in the development and implementation of company health and safety policies, procedures and programs to enhance safety culture
- Provides leadership, guidance and technical support to programs regarding specific issues related to health and safety programs and practices
- Facilitates modified and return to work programs for injured employees
- Assesses risks and trends in the workplace and implement corrective measures to reduce risks
- Participates in the development and implementation of safety training programs
- Participates in Health and Safety committees
- Acts as the Human Resources point of contact to all JHSBC agencies and provide resources as needed
- Chairs and organizes provincial committee with other regions
Leadership and Supervision
- Manages all aspects of the performance of direct reports
- Prioritizes, coordinates and formally evaluates the work of direct reports
- Delegates work and decision-making authority to facilitate efficient work processes
- Recognizes and rewards exceptional performance and contributions
- Takes steps to ensure work team is focused and positive
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven ability to work within a fast-paced, growth-focused environment. The ideal candidate has:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Administration or relevant field or an equivalent combination of skill, knowledge, and experience
- A CPHR designation or equivalent
- Five years of experience managing a team
- Experience with human resources management, unions and non-profit management
- Extensive knowledge of employment laws and legislation (Employment Standard Act, Collective Agreements, Policy & Procedures and other related legislation)
- Strong knowledge of MS office suite, Applicant Tracking Systems and Human Resources Information Systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skill in English
- Ability to motivate and organize a staff team
- Administrative experience and strong administrative skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, conflict management and resolution strategies, as well as a positive work approach
Preference for candidates with experience in Payroll and Benefits and knowledge of non-profit work environments, especially the Criminal Justice System and Developmental Disabilities.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Reliable, safe vehicle with appropriate insurance
WHAT WE OFFER?
- Committed Living Wage Employer
- Opportunity to work with purpose for non-profit organization
- Great work environment
- Competitive benefits
JHS welcomes applications from all qualified applicants including but not limited by those of any sex, race, orientation, or disability. Multilingual skills and multicultural competence are assets.