Hamilton ACORN, well known for its ground breaking work fighting for tenants is opening up a Tax Site for 2020 and is looking for a Tax Site Coordinator to help run this important expansion project. The successful applicant will earn money while working in a fast paced environment by helping file personal taxes for ACORN’s large membership base.
Basic income tax preparer experience is required.
Job is part–time semi flexible hours running from mid February to end of April 2020.
What is ACORN?
ACORN’s Tax Site exists for two reasons. First, ACORN members need to get their taxes done. Second because we the revenues generated to help pay for the organizing work we do.
ACORN is workers and communities united, organized and able to effectively fight for what is theirs: Living Wage and Living Allowances, Affordable and Livable Housing, Fair Banking Practices, a right to Public Services like Education, Healthcare, and Childcare, and Equal Pay for Women and People of Colour.
We are multi-issue, mass based union of low-to-moderate income people. The purpose of the union is to give low-to-moderate income people power so that they have ability to have their voices effectively heard at the highest levels in the country. With chapters across the country at the provincial and local levels, ACORN is able to be both a local based union, winning small campaigns, as well as a large organization combining forces to fight national corporations and governments that are at the root of most of our problems.
The Tax Coordinator will work with the local ACORN Staff Director in managing the site and will be responsible for all tax preparation and client outreach.
Responsibilities and Duties
• File basic personal income taxes for low-to-moderate income people.
• Answer phones and book appointments
• Help manage flow of tax site
• Make phone calls to previous clients and existing members to book appointments
• Community outreach / flyering as needed
Qualifications and Skills
• Have successfully completed Income Tax Level 1 course and previous tax filing experience is required.
• Have people skills.
• Be willing to work in a team setting that you are sometimes leading, and sometimes following.
Compensation and Hours
• $15 per hour
• Up to 20 hours a week