Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a stunning ten-acre site at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world by curating thousands of events annually across its ten-acre site from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to sailing lessons. There is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre, year-round.
Position Title: Grounds Crew
Department: Site Services
Reporting to: Property Shift Supervisor, Site Services
Direct reports: None
Key Relationships: All departments campus wide including tenants, festival partners, artists, preferred service companies
Type of Employment: Contract, Seasonal
Summary of Function:
The Grounds Crew is part of the Site Services team, and will play a key role in the organization for all site-related activities. The Grounds Crew will be responsible for carrying out all site-related programs, including landscaping, waste management, repairs and maintenance, snow clearing, and event setups / strikes. Reporting to the Property Shift Supervisor, the position offers the opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary arts institution. The Grounds Crew will work with the Property Shift Supervisor in implementing all site-related programs.
· Responsible for ensuring the site is maintained free from hazards
· Performs landscaping duties including but not limited to the cutting of lawns, removal of weeds and upkeep of planters
· Performs the setup and strike of events on campus as required
· Responsible for maintenance and installation of all tents on site
· Responsible for the cleaning of the rental kitchen facilities (Food Lab)
· Responsible for maintaining the site free of litter and providing regular garbage removal from containers and dump sites
· Responsible for all aspects of snow clearing/ice control including but not limited to shoveling, blowing, plowing and salting
· Operates all grounds vehicles and equipment and ensures that all are in adequate repair and safe to operate
· Performs inspections of equipment and/or facilities and maintains required logs as assigned. This may include: Snow/ice logs, vehicle logs, maintenance logs etc.
· Responsible for general maintenance of equipment and/or facilities as assigned. This may include: painting, minor plumbing, minor repairs and graffiti removal
· Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
Workplace Health and Safety
· All staff are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of other personnel (including volunteers and interns) who may be affected by their conduct
· Operates and handles all equipment with the greatest of care to ensure personal safety as well as the safety of other staff, the public and the equipment
· Performs duties in a safe manner, and abides by the Occupational Health & Safety Act and all applicable regulations as well as all departmental policies and procedures.
· Participate in Health & Safety training on a regular basis as required by their Supervisor.
· Report all hazards and injuries immediately to their Supervisors.
· All staff are required to support a workplace free of intimidation, discrimination, harassment and violence. They are expected to abide by the Workplace Discrimination, Harassment and Violence policy and procedure and will participate in training as required.
Key Performance Indicators
· Site Readiness and Cleanliness
· Audits completed thoroughly and promptly
· Successful execution of events on time
Skills & Requirements
· Knowledge of landscaping
· Knowledge of maintenance and cleaning practices
· Full “G” class Ontario driver’s license
· Ability to operate light vehicles such as golf carts and UTV’s
· Ability to operate medium-duty trucks
· Ability to operate small and large power tools
· Ability to operate a variety of gas-powered tools
· Experience in equipment repairs and preventative maintenance
· Valid WHMIS training
· Valid Working at Heights training
· Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
· Superior Customer service skills
· Job involves both standing, walking, and/or the operation of equipment for extended periods of time
· Job involves some lifting, upwards of 100lbs
· Job involves both weekend and evening shifts as well as irregular hours and statutory holidays
· Job involves constant interaction with staff and public
· Job involves multiple deadlines, priorities and simultaneous demands
· Job involves alertness, attention to detail, and visual perception skills while on duty
· Working environment includes approximately 80% of shift outside in varying weather conditions
· May contain some hazardous and potentially dangerous situations
· May contain periods of time working in isolated areas
· Job involves working in full uniform
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by: April 10th, 2020
Please quote Job Reference #20J006-ET to:
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!