Does self-care, harm reduction, mental health, addictions, recovery and other social issues align with your knowledge on wellness? Do you draw inspiration from your own lived experiences and journey when building meaningful relationships in your everyday work? The Weekend Wellness Coach creates a safe home environment for up to 20 residents due to histories of trauma and related mental illness and addictions, need enhanced levels of housing support.
You are empathetic, caring, engaged and will actively seek out opportunities to model wellness programming and initiatives with residents using a holistic approach incorporating aspects of emotional, spiritual, mental, and physical wellness. You will create a free of judgement, fun and engaging community within the home to support residents to achieve their own identified wellness goals.
e4c permanent supportive housing operates on the cycle of the day, drawing inspiration from the recovery motto of “one day at a time”. The model provides wrap around team staffing that includes clinical supports with a community-based approach, focused on reciprocity, relationship, and wellness.
Hours: Temporary from May to August 2020 with a possibility of extension; Part-time Saturday and Sunday 4:00pm to 12:00am.
Why Join Our Team
- Part-time position includes: a robust employee assistance program and other work related benefits.
- In-house collaborative training opportunities and supervisory coaching sessions to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role and duties.
- Be supervised and mentored through observation, formal and informal coaching session and overall recognition of successes in support of your professional capacity.
- Connect with a variety of stakeholders – team members, residents, general public and community members to build and model positive neighbor relations.
In Your Role You Will
- Coach and model wellness and self-care practices within the home and with residents.
- Implement and coordinate resident recreational activities that align with personal wellness plans in collaboration with the Wellness Manager.
- Foster a fun, engaging and community environment within the house to explore wellness with residents.
- Communicate and receive information from integrated staff team regarding progress of the residents, significant changes in behavior, and any concerns/challenges that the resident is experiencing.
- Promote conflict resolution, positive communication, empathy and respect (through positive reinforcement, role modeling and supportive listening).
- Work within a framework of natural law/natural consequences and relationship-based practice to implement relevant accountability processes.
- Utilize self and own personal wellness as a tool to build authentic relationships with residents.
- Engage residents with meal preparation and clean-up.
- Administer medication for all residents.
- Clean and maintain household to ensure compliance with all legislation, bylaws and standards (health, safety, fire, city and accreditation).
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community stakeholders and act as a point of contact for the community during evening hours.
Education and Certifications
- Diploma in the area of human services, education or related discipline.
- Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector.
- Child Intervention Record Check.
- Required (or willingness to obtain): First Aid and CPR, Medication Assistance, Suicide Intervention, De-escalation Certificate
- Recommended: Mental Health First Aid, Harm Reduction Training and Cultural Awareness, Motivational Interviewing, Food Safety Training
- 1+ year of related direct service work experience working with diverse communities with varying and complex priorities and needs.
- Working knowledge and experience with harm reduction, person-centered, trauma-informed, behavior modification, natural law, strength based, collaborative, and/or solution focused practice.
- Personal lived experience of addictions, mental illness, racism, discrimination, poverty is an asset.
- Proven ability to foster a team environment.
- Experience working in collaborative partnerships.