The Manager, Marketing and Communications, will lead, develop and oversee FoodShare’s public-facing communication properties, which includes digital and web content; social media platforms; monthly e-newsletter and regular blog posts; and print collateral. The Manager will support fundraising staff in achieving revenue goals by providing relevant messaging and leveraging digital communications and social media. This person will also oversee media relations and work with program staff to gather data and stories of program results and community impact. Importantly, the manager will lead marketing strategies in support of FoodShare’s social enterprise initiatives with particular focus on FoodShare’s key social enterprise initiative, the Good Food Box.
The Manager, Marketing and Communications reports to the Director of Development and Communications.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Leadership and Management
- Oversee and manage annual communications and marketing strategies and associated budget in support of Development and Communications planning and revenue targets.
- Ensure marketing and communications best practices are implemented and maintained.
- Work with internal stakeholders to support marketing and communications needs to ensure brand compliance, consistency, and effectiveness in raising organizational profile, messaging and positioning.
- Lead the planning and execution of public awareness and marketing strategies for new and existing initiatives, projects and campaigns.
- Lead public outreach in support of FoodShare events.
- Assess potential risk to organizational brand and reputation providing timely management and response strategies.
- Supervise the Senior Coordinator, Communications, including reviewing work plans and deadlines, conducting performance reviews, etc.
- Design, implement and manage marketing strategies to increase sales from earned revenue through social enterprise initiatives such as the Good Food Box.
- Ensure marketing strategies are aligned with FoodShare’s strategic plan.
- Seek out new opportunities to expand social enterprise initiatives and grow overall brand awareness.
- Oversee digital communication channels, including website, e-communications, blog and social media platforms.
- Oversee the development of communications collateral such as the annual report, newsletters, brochures, pamphlets, take-aways, video, etc.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to share stories that demonstrate organizational impact.
- Work closely with Development team to ensure that staff and board members are positioned for success as brand ambassadors.
- Serve as a communications resource to Supportive Partnerships / Trustees in assisting the development and implementation of communications plans on behalf of partner organizations.
- Develop, execute, and manage annual organizational public relations strategies.
- Serve as initial media contact, responding to media inquiries as needed.
- Identify emerging issues relevant to the food movement and food justice, and prepare appropriate messaging and public relations plans
- Write and distribute media releases/advisories/interview opportunities.
- Proactively seek media coverage to promote food justice, FoodShare’s programs and projects, as well as the organization’s Good Food Markets, events, campaigns and sociall enterprise activities.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of food justice
- Three to five years of relevant experience in marketing and communications, preferably in the non profit sector
- Minimum two years experience supervising staff and/or volunteers
- Demonstrated experience in planning and production of marketing materials and developing social media strategies
- Two-plus years experience in developing and executing plans for events, media relations and marketing
- Excellent ability to create compelling copy for various channels; superior editing and proofreading skills
- Experience in developing relationships with media and producing media releases
- Experience in analyzing marketing trends, conducting/commissioning marketing research, developing pricing and budgeting strategies
- Detail-oriented and resourceful, able to juggle simultaneous priorities while adhering to deadlines
- Highly organized with strong administrative and project management skills
- Positive, creative, collaborative and organized