Senior Analyst, Finance
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Senior Analyst, Finance.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, IO Finance Services, the Senior Financial Analyst provides finance support services to programs managed through International Operations. The incumbent provides both financial and analytical reporting to ensure the effective management of the administrative and financial aspects of Government and Non-government funded projects; maintenance, and analysis of monthly reporting; and, compliance with the Canadian Red Cross accounting policies and procedures.
The Senior Financial Analyst contributes towards the mandate of the IO Finance Services: Establish/modernize, maintain effective, efficient finance systems, processes, procedures, frameworks and work practices to coordinate financial monitoring and the provision of timely reports, analyses and advice to operations and/or management.
The Senior Financial Analyst will contribute to the success of the matrix model, agility of the organization, delivering against the One Red Cross vision and interoperability, implement innovations/learning within services, and ensure robust risk management.
Who you are:
- You have minimum 5 years of progressive, relevant experience in financial management, preferably in project/program management.
- You have knowledge of Financial and Management Accounting, GAAP
You will enjoy:
Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality
Opportunity: to work with the best and brightest in the non-profit field, in an environment that promotes continuous learning, creativity and collaboration
Employee Benefits: achieve a work/life balance for you and your new team with competitive vacation time, generous personal days and flexible work arrangements
Meaningful Work: The Senior Officer, DRM will contribute to the success of the matrix model, agility of the organization, delivering against the One Red Cross vision and interoperability, implement innovations/learning within programs.
In this role you will:
- Leads the month-end process for the IO Finance Services team ensuring all deadlines are met
- Prepares Monthly Budget/Variance Report to budget holders
- Prepares commitment schedules in order to assist program areas in revising project budgets and forecasts.
- Consolidates budgets and forecasts for reporting to Finance Manager, IO Leadership and Corporate Finance
- Supports administration of public funds, contracts, and agreements
- Assists and supports the annual budgetary preparation and monitoring progress.
- Provides finance support services to Program Managers, Directors and their administrative staff to assist in the effective management of projects & departments.
- Identifies financial risks the projects and/or departments may be exposed to, and discuss possible scenarios with Finance Manager and Program Manager to mitigate (if not eliminate) these risks.
- Oversees cash flow and cost control measures; accounts receivable & payable, data entry, month-end closure, reconciliations, etc.
- Demonstrates adherence to administrative policies and procedures by all members of International Operations and field levels.
- Ensures maintenance of appropriate records and documents to comply with third party agreement.
- Provides financial and statistical analysis, reports, advice and recommendations to the Finance Manager and/or Director, Finance Services on a regular basis in a timely and accurate manner;
- Develops reporting standards, emphasizing key financial and non-financial metrics to inform decision making;
- Participates in the development and improvement of systems, policies, processes, practices;
- Produces monthly consolidated financial reports submitted to budget holders.
- Produces ad hoc consolidated financial reports required by Programs & Departments.
- Reviews & Approves entries and payments related to approved projects and operational budgets.
- Validates and analyzes project financials and prepare quarterly financial reports for GAC funded projects as well as internally funded overseas project for distribution to project managers and external partners.
- Validates and reconciles all project related financial information for external partners and audits.
- Validates financial transactions for General Ledger, AP, AR and Trust Modules before posting of batches.
- Compiles, prepares and generates all year-end financial reports for projects.
- Implements suitable reporting system for each project.
- Evaluates field systems and controls to ensure reporting of accurate, complete and timely financial information and that account for the funds advanced to the field.
- Ensures that all month end processing is completed on a timely basis.
- Conducts finance briefing with delegates going on mission to the field.
- Provides support on an Emergency Response Unit (ERU) field Operations including attending the working group meetings, arranging for cash transfers to the field, preparing budget for the ERU operations, brief and debrief delegates
- Conducts field monitoring missions for financial assessments of projects.
- Provides support, guidance and training to field personnel for project financial reporting requirements.
- Develops and maintains membership in the functional department, IO Finance Services, and designated client group(s). As a member of the designated client group(s) provides technical guidance and help designated IO teams when called upon.
- Identifies clients’ needs and expectations, agrees on services to be provided and collaborates in meeting their operational needs. Fosters team work through a professional exchange of experiences and expertise that can be transferred to other areas of work.
- Ensures sharing and dissemination of services related materials to all concerned actors.
- Provides back-up to colleagues as required.
- Mentors colleagues on sourcing processes and systems for back up purposes.
- Follows all CRC’s policies and procedures required to maintain a healthy and safe working environment.
- Integrates volunteer resources within the scope of responsibilities, as required.
- Participates in disaster planning, preparation and response, as required.
We’re looking for:
- Post secondary level education in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or a related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- A professional accounting designation (CPA) and background in audit and assurance is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive, relevant experience in financial management, preferably in project/program management.
- Knowledge of Financial and Management Accounting, GAAP
- Computer literacy is essential. Knowledge of current word processing and spreadsheet (advanced level in Excel) applications and accounting software (i.e. Accpac, Dynamics AX) is required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English (essential) and French (preferred);
- Experience in working directly with program managers to provide financial advice.
- Customer focus with the ability to explain complex issues in plain language to non-experts.
- Excellent budgeting and financial management skills.
- Proactive approach with strong critical thinking, business acumen and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, and influencing skills and a customer service orientation to ensure effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong communications skills in English are required. Knowledge of other languages from countries in which International Operations works will also be of added value.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, global environment with multiple conflicting demands, ambiguity and changing circumstances and demonstrated positive experience working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Comfortable in a volunteer-led organization and delivering to a volunteer-led accountability structure with a willingness to commit to the Principles of the Red Cross Movement.
- This position is subject to successful Criminal Reference and Vulnerable Sector Checks;
- The majority of the work is performed in a clean and comfortable environment
- May include long to moderate hours sitting and using computers and office equipment.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours on short notice
- Ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
- This position may require domestic or overseas travel to attend conferences, workshops and meetings as required.
- Must be able to be Medical Cleared for travel in accordance with established CRC Medical criteria in positions where travel will be required
- Successfully complete a Canadian criminal record reference check and vulnerable sector check
How to apply
Please note: This role is posted until filled. Candidates will be reviewed as they apply. This role is remote based and we encourage candidates from all over Canada to apply.
Please submit your application and cover letter here or on the Canadian Red Cross Online Career Website.
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified persons to apply particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.