Since 1928, Family Services of Greater Vancouver (“FSGV” or “the Agency”) has been guided by a vision of redefining how families are supported in our community. The Agency provides services across the local communities of Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New Westminster and Surrey, with additional initiatives having provincial and national scope. With an operating budget of $24M, a total budget of $29M, and 420 dedicated staff, FSGV is one of British Columbia’s largest and most impactful community-based social services agencies.
With an unwavering commitment to equity, diversity, decolonization, and inclusion, FSGV delivers over fifty programs, services, workshops, and groups to help people build resiliency, develop skills and knowledge, and gain the confidence to make positive changes in their lives. From youth experiencing homelessness, to families impacted by trauma, to isolated seniors and newcomers to Canada–whatever the challenges FSGV’s clients are facing, the Agency’s compassionate, expert staff meet people where they are at and give them the support they need to create brighter tomorrows.
FSGV is a registered charitable organization and an accredited service provider by The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Please visit www.fsgv.ca for a comprehensive description of all our programs and services.
Our annual report is available at, https://fsgv.ca/about-us/annual-reports/
We strive to:
Through: Counselling, skills development, outreach, mental health support, specialized supports, partnerships, community leadership.
Brighter tomorrows in which all people are resilient, confident and filled with hope.
To ensure children are nurtured, youth find optimism, adults feel empowered, and parents make choices that build strong families.
Reporting to a Board of Directors and directly leading a team of eight, the CEO is accountable for positioning the Agency to be a leader in the contracted and community-based social service field in BC. With a focus on best practices and with continuous consideration of the Agency’s mission, vision and values, the CEO leads and empowers all facets of FSGV’s operations to achieve its goal of highest quality service to clients and community. The CEO maintains a high profile in the social service community in order to promote the interests of the Agency to its various stakeholders and to secure the necessary funding to meet operational and capital requirements.
Building from a solid foundation and the credibility derived from FSGV’s illustrious history, this is a tremendous opportunity for that senior leader who goes “above and beyond” in motivating an extremely dedicated staff complement, and who brings entrepreneurial talents to helping members of society who are in need of assistance. With a major building redevelopment project in the works, and a dynamic social and cultural context, there is much exciting work to be done! This is a chance to make a difference in people’s lives by exercising exemplary leadership in an organization that has a long, demonstrated track record of success.
• Builds a shared vision of FSGV’s role and future with senior leaders in the Agency and the Board of Directors
• Develops innovative solutions to achieve leading edge organization-wide improvements
• Ensures that all services are synchronized with the strategic direction of the Agency
• Fosters a culture of equity, diversity, inclusion, Indigenization, and decolonization
• Ensures that workplace practices foster employee involvement and teamwork
• Communicates values, expectations, and challenges to employees, volunteers, and suppliers of services
• Creates an organizational culture that encourages high quality, innovative ideas and programs
• Develops and recommends annual budgets for Board approval
• Supports an orientation program for new Directors
• Ensures the Board is sufficiently informed to be able to exercise its responsibilities
• Comprehends the various interests of the Agency and represents them effectively to individuals and groups within and outside the Agency
• Interprets the needs of staff, stakeholders, and clients, and integrates these into strategic initiatives
• Maintains positive relationships with funding agencies, the Board of Directors, the community at large, and professional associations/alliances
• Participates in local and national committees of relevance to the Agency
• Understands the rules and relationships of the Board of Directors and the CEO
• Exhibits a strong sense of governance and an ability to assist the Board in strategy and planning
• Partners with the Board of Directors in the creation and updates of the strategic plan
Program and Service Delivery:
• Ensures client and staff satisfaction, quality assurance and best practices in the delivery of service
• Ensures the highest standards of professional practice in relationships with clients, funders and other stakeholders
• Ensures that programs are budgeted with full consideration of the systems, staffing and funding required to maximize their effectiveness
• Negotiates contracts and funding agreements
• Ensures programs and services are accompanied by a comprehensive communication plan to ensure public awareness of the services available
• Works with the Board, and engages staff and clients in the creation of a strategic plan; develops operating plans and ensures they form the basis for individuals’ personal performance plans
• Ensures that services are synchronized with the strategic directions of the Agency
• Constantly assesses the implications of resource utilization to ensure the organization’s effectiveness
• Takes the lead in identifying issues that have an organization-wide impact and potentially, significant and
• Ensures that the capacities of existing systems are fully utilized, and prepares the organization for the adoption of new systems and technologies to maintain efficiency and effectiveness
• Ensures the Agency’s financial stability by exercising strong fiscal planning and management
• Ensures the implementation of appropriate internal audit, financial management, information and record- keeping systems to fully satisfy the requirements of auditors, regulatory authorities, funders, managers, and the Board of Directors
• Ensures the timely production and distribution of financial statements
Funding / Fundraising / Business Development:
• Negotiates funding from governments to meet the need for highest quality service
• Increases revenue through the direction and involvement
in major funding and fund-raising initiatives
• Investigates and implements social enterprise initiatives
FSGV’s CEO should be an inspirational and entrepreneurial talent who will help set the future vision of the Agency and continue to build on excellence in program identification and delivery. Driving efforts to ensure that FSGV remains relevant to Metro Vancouver’s changing demographics, the successful candidate will leverage the success stories of the clients of the Agency into a higher profile, lead and motivate a strong senior team, ignite fundraising initiatives, maintain a strong fiscal focus with an eye to long-term sustainability, lead the redevelopment of FSGV’s primary building, and help the Board set the strategic vision for the next decade that will take the organization to new heights in the community.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
• A graduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution, or a combination of education and senior level experience
• A skilled and experienced manager at a senior level in either the public, not for profit, or private sectors, normally for a period of not less than eight years, with preference given to senior management experience in a complex, community service agency
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, decolonization, and inclusion
• Skilled and experienced in working with a Board of Directors
• Capable of furthering FSGV’s vision and mission by applying leading-edge practices to FSGV’s services
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be strongly committed to sustaining a culture that encourages highest quality services, innovative ideas, and teamwork
• Capable of managing the ambiguity that accompanies a complex, multi-funded service agency
Leadership – An inspirational leader able to motivate others to accomplish organizational goals. Influences in a positive way and shares knowledge freely. Demonstrates an accepting, respectful approach to staff, clients and colleagues. Understands team dynamics. Establishes clear direction for team vision, and values consistent with organizational vision.
Relationship Skills – Builds and maintains relationships based on mutual respect, trust, appropriate sensitivity and transparency, empathy, and compassion with clients, colleagues, professional associates and the greater community. Demonstrated ability to manage collaborative relationships and build support, loyalty, and goodwill.
Strategic – Recognizes trends that could affect the future and capitalizes on opportunities as they arise. Processes complex information and exercises sound judgment, considering the situation, issues and key players. Communicates the vision and strategies to maximize support and resources. Able to deploy the strategy through the management team and into the organization. Has a track record of developing, implementing, evaluating and adjusting plans to reach goals, while ensuring optimal use of resources.
Business Acumen – Proven experience in budgeting and implementation. Ensures that adequate funding is secured for programs. Has negotiated contracts and funding agreements and is able to manage time, energy and resources. Entrepreneurial in approach and running a complex business.
Communication – Listens carefully and communicates articulately, fostering respect and trust. Actively solicits input from others. Speaks, writes and presents in a manner easily understood by the audience. Accepts feedback both positive and constructive in an open and non-judgmental manner. Adapts content, style, tone and medium of communication to suit the target audiences. Is a transparent decision maker and communicator.
Board Governance – Experienced working closely with, or reporting to, a Board; can effectively support a Board in fulfilling its governance responsibilities.
Change Catalyst and Innovator – Manages, leads and enables the process of change and transition while helping others deal with their effects. Anticipates the need for change when opportunities or challenges arise, and creates an environment that promotes and encourages innovation.
Commitment to Excellence – Ensures excellence is the baseline by delivering results for FSGV clients through exceptional service, action, accountability and effective operational management.
Values and Behaviour – Models corporate social responsibility, integrity, credibility and the organization’s ethics and values. Demonstrates consistency between actions and words. Accepts responsibility. Builds trust by being reliable and authentic. Follows through on commitments. Speaks plainly and truthfully and demonstrates personal accountability. Appropriately manages emotions and strong feelings, maintaining calm and tactful composure under a broad range of often challenging circumstances. Works effectively in changing situations, and with diverse groups. Is tactful, diplomatic, and sensitive. Demonstrates cultural agility, responding skillfully to people from all backgrounds. Is passionate and tenacious until the best possible results are achieved.
* Posting Update
A review of applications has begun and candidates have been short-listed. Candidates must apply online via the Family Services of Greater Vancouver website. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit their applications. Your application will be retained and may be considered up until an appointment to the position is made.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!