JVS Toronto is a registered charity in the social services sector providing career and employment services. Our employees make a difference affecting local communities by connecting jobseekers to employment and helping employers build their workforce in Toronto and York Region. The Disability Services department offers several pre-employment and employment programs to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, including the ASD Job Readiness Project. This program is delivered to youth (ages 18-30) with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or previous diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome. The goal of the project is to connect clients with meaningful employment opportunities and provide job coaching to help clients obtain paid employment. https://www.jvstoronto.org/find-a-job/disability-employment-services/.
Are you looking for meaningful work where you can make a noticeable difference in peoples’ lives? JVS Toronto will provide you with the opportunity to advance your career and give back to our community. To reward employees’ hard work, JVS Toronto offers a paid vacation allowance, health, vision, & dental benefits, an employee assistance program (EAP), and corporate discounts.
Employment Counsellor, Job ID #8030
Full-time / 1 year contract with possibility of renewal / Starting ASAP / Dufferin & Lawrence
In addition to playing a key role in the delivery of ASD program activities, the individual will also be a part of the integration across Disability Services and Vocational Evaluation services, providing support to employment programs as needed.
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Assess skills and needs of the applicants for program eligibility and lead intake and orientation sessions across the department
- Provide expert knowledge on ASD related areas to support participants and families
- Apply knowledge of employment-related issues, including current labour market trends, adult learning approaches, and accommodation analysis strategies
- Provide one-to-one employment counselling to develop Employment Action Plans, Individual Support Plans, and related strategies to support with participant goals
- Deliver workshops to job seekers with ASD and learning disabilities
- Have strong knowledge of transferable skills analysis; develop strategies and areas of accommodation to support participants abilities and learning styles
- Facilitate pre-employment and job retention workshops; conduct participant surveys/evaluations
- Collaborate with team members for various service coordination, including JVS Toronto’s Career, Education & Psychological Services department and other internal and external areas to collaborate and provide follow up, support and monitoring of referrals
- Coordinate with community services, referring community supports and potential participants to market the project
- Prepare case management documentation, reports, perform data entry and maintain complete participant records and case notes adhering to funder and agency requirements
- Provide support to JVS’s Vocational Evaluation team when needed
Flexible hours / evenings / weekends may be required for this position.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Counselling, Social Services, Behavioural Science, or related; international degrees must be evaluated for Canadian equivalency
- 1-2 years of direct support experience with individuals with ASD in a vocational or goal based program
- 1-2 years of experience with supporting individuals’ challenging behaviours, identifying functions of behaviours and consulting with team to implement a plan that is best suited for the participant’s project involvement, employment goals and adheres to agency and funder standards
- Strong organization and time management skill
- Effective problem solving skills with the ability to make sound decisions
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate; the ability to learn systems used by the agency (ie. SalesForce)
- A clear Police Vulnerable Sector check is required for this position
Our ideal candidate will also have:
- Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling or Social Services with placement experience
- Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) or equivalent Behavioural Intervention certification
- Experience working in a vocational based program which goals are paid employment for participants
- Work experience supporting individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (and related diagnosis), Learning Disabilities, dual diagnosis, mental health and developmental disability
- Keeps informed on current literature and research
- Has a current network and resources for potential participant referral to community resources that are vocational, non-vocational, ASD specific and other disability specific resources
- Current First Aid/CPR
- Knowledge of Non-violent Crisis Prevention & Intervention (CPI) Training
- Employment Ontario knowledge and exposure
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume & covering letter here.
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you require accommodation in order to submit your application, please contact JVS directly.
Our agency embraces diversity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our agency, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.