Family Support Worker (temp to June 2020) - Slave Lake, Alberta
Company: WJS Canada
Job Number: J0820-0084
Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time
City: Slave Lake, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Monday – Friday
Flexible work week hours as some evenings and weekends may be required to meet the needs of the families WJS supports.
Help WJS Canada build strong families who are resilient to life’s challenges.
The support our team members provide emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family’s strengths and achieve goals to overcome areas of struggle. No two families are alike. Individualized services are based on the belief that the family’s own internal resources can be strengthened and other helpful skills can be developed.
WJS Canada is currently recruiting a Temporary, Full Time Family Service Specialist who works directly with families, youth and children in Slave Lake, AB and the surrounding community. Working as the primary caseworker, they will counsel and provide therapeutic interventions under the Collaborative Service Delivery model, by coordinating family care teams to provide support and ensure best outcomes for families. Our program structure is one that our staff will become the compass point for the family and others involved in the case.
Working a flexible schedule, the position will require the Family Service Specialist to work regular office hours, as well as evening & weekend hours, up to 40 hr/week. Flexibility is required in order to support families during evenings & weekends when they are gathered together & require the most support.
**Qualification requirements deem this to be Family Support Worker level 2.**
*** This is a temporary position to cover a maternity leave until June 2021 ***
In Your Role You Will
• Establish trusting relationships with children and families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Provide flexible and responsive client centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families.
• Provide individual and group counseling as appropriate.
• A key component of this position is supporting children and families to connect with resources and organizing ongoing service delivery with stakeholders.
• Collaborate and/or work as a team with community systems (i.e. school), specialized service providers, volunteers and extended family members.
• Conduct family visits in the community and be available for evening/weekend visits and/or on standby as required.
• Attend supervised visits with families that are involved with the Ministry of Human Services.
• Transport individuals or families as required.
• Accommodate and respect cultural, social and religious heritage.
• Follow up on closed case files to ensure family safety and implementation of individual program plans.
• Administrative duties including typing/filing reports, compiling monthly reports, etc.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Diploma in Social Services, Bachelor of Social work or similar education. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
• 3 years experience working with families in social services field and supporting through various challenges (addictions, mental health, domestic violence, suicide, etc.)
• Knowledge and application of therapeutic and intervention theories and the stages of child development;
• Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of diverse communities and to resolve conflict in an effective manner;
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Strong understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid CPR/First Aid and WHMIS
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset.
• Training in suicide prevention and cultural sensitivity
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families strong through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Home Visitation
• Supported Family Time
• Family Team Meetings, Group Conferencing
• Family Finding & Engagement
• Child in Care Services
• Foster and Kinship Care and Support
• Personal and Family Counselling
• Early Intervention or Diversion Programs
• Driver Escorts for Families
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 3 weeks annual vacation and more!
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply for JOB # J0820-0084 online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!