Virginia Sam Transition House
Permanent Part-Time (14 hours per week)
Must be available to work:
Saturdays and Sundays 4:30 pm to midnight
This position is open to Female applicants only. This position requires union membership. Compensation is in accordance with Appendix A of the BCGEU Collective Agreement
Options Community Services Society requires a temporary transition house worker to work part-time (14 hours per week) Saturdays and Sundays. In order to best meet the needs of the transition house residents, this position is open to female applicants only.
The Transition House Worker collaboratively works with women to assess their on-going needs, goals and strengths, and implement and monitor service plans using a women-centered, culturally sensitive approach.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Diploma in a related human/social service field and one (1) year recent related experience. Or an equivalent combination of relevant training, education and experience.
- Experience in supporting women and children who have experienced gender-based violence and/or abuse
- Thorough understanding of the dynamic of violence against women and the impact of systemic and intergenerational abuse
- Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures and legislation
- Current First Aid/CPR Certificate required
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License, satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
- Satisfactory completion of a Police Information and Ministry Check
- Access to a reliable vehicle an asset
- Food Safe Certificate an asset
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Must be available to work weekend afternoons Saturdays and Sundays.
- Maintain non-judgmental, positive, and respectful approach to house residents, co-workers, and other professionals.
- Competent in written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient in writing case session notes and maintaining client file records to accreditation, agency and program standards.
- Must have highly developed self-care, time management, and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to manage crisis or emergency situations.
- Effective in fostering a collaborative, positive, respectful, and supportive team environment in order to equitably and cooperatively share program workload with co-workers.
- Familiarity with community resources and excellent advocacy skills.
- Multilingualism is an asset.
- Must be sensitive to and respectful of cultural and lifestyle diversity
- Crisis Line experience is an asset.