First Steps is a multi agency collaborative project to provide intensive ECD focused settlement and developmental support, to young refugee children and their caregivers to enable them to gradually transition into mainstream services and resources. This program is in collaboration with DIVERSEcity Community Resource Society, Options Community Services and Umoja Operation Compassion Society. The Program Manager is responsible to work closely with the DIVERSEcity and Umoja Managers and collaboratively with partners, community and funders to ensure programs meet expectations of the Early Years Refugee Settlement program and oversee program planning, staff supervision, training and preparing reports to funders.
- Supervise and support ECE staff in the provision of developmentally appropriate, culturally and spiritually sensitive, play based early childhood activities that meet the physical, social, emotional and cognitive needs of the children and families.
- Create curriculum relevant to parents with a refugee experience to help increase their knowledge of child development and parenting skills through role modeling, sharing resources and teachable moments.
- Work with staff to create an environment that is child centered, and culturally appropriate using natural materials where possible with thought and attention to the clues about expectations.
- Provide early literacy/ family literacy activities which support the development of healthy attachment and bonding
- Supervise and support program staff
- Conduct ECE staff meetings and collaborate with DIVERSEcity Co-ordinator for team meetings and management meetings
- Maintain a working knowledge of early childhood services, community services, resource persons and a wide range of early childhood issues and initiatives, and dispenses this information to staff, families and the community. Provide key worker co-ordination and case management as necessary with co manager. Complete collaborative reports for agency, funders and Joint Management Committee (JMC) quarterly as required.
- Degree or Diploma in Early Childhood Education is required.
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrated management and supervision experience, preferably within the social services and/or child care sector; including working knowledge of provincial government and community support services systems.
- Experience working collaboratively with partner organizations.
- Experience working with families who have experienced resettlement and or trauma from diverse backgrounds or lived experience desirable.
- Current Level I First Aid certificate.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License and use of a personal vehicle is required.
- Required to obtain Business insurance on personal vehicle.
- Demonstrate competency for and understanding of a community development approach and community base service delivery.
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills and a commitment to a problem solving approach.
- Must be sensitive to and respectful of cultural, spiritual and lifestyle diversity.
- Willingness to learn and actively participate in professional development.
- Demonstrated capacity to be creative, flexible, resourceful and adaptable.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Non-judgmental, respectful, positive, supportive attitude.
- Ability to identify sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to develop program related reference and resource materials.
- Commitment to a problem solving approach and willingness to learn and actively participate in professional development.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of technical systems and computer applications and a willingness to learn.
- Sensitivity to the financial, social, physical, cultural and personal barriers that refugees and new immigrants face.