School Age Child Care Coordinator
Who we are Rooted in Northern BC for over 50 years, the YMCA of Northern BC is a charity of over 400 staff and volunteers working together to strengthen the foundations of our community through promoting healthy living, fostering belonging, inclusion, and connection, and helping children, families, and seniors thrive. We offer opportunities for personal growth and create social change through child care services, camp programs, community health services, employment services, recreation, and health and fitness services.
What you will do At the YMCA people are our greatest asset and we are proud to be an employer of choice. Working at the YMCA means you are part of a fun, positive team, in an environment of honesty, caring, respect, responsibility, and inclusivity. The YMCA is the largest not-for-profit provider of child care in Canada and the YMCA of Northern BC is the largest provider in the north, serving: Chetwynd, Fort St. James, Fort St. John, Prince George, and Vanderhoof. YMCA Child Care is a home away from home.
What you will bring
Our educators are passionate about creating lasting positive impact in the lives of the children in our care from 3 months to 12 years. Our team of professionals believe in play-based educational programming. We are nurturing, family-centered, and committed to our YMCA Playing to Learn™ and YMCA A Place to Connect™ curriculums. Our team members possess excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, and believe in the power of teamwork.
Responsibilities and abilities
Reporting to the Manager of Child Care Operations, the coordinator is responsible for the successful leadership and mandagement of YMCA licensed before and afterschool programs, licensed summer club and non-instructional day programs in their portfolio. They are energetic, innovative and reliable!
What are we looking for?
· Rescourcefulness – we have to be out of the box thinkers
· Accountability – actions speak louder than words
· Communication – communication is the real wor of leadership
· Attention to detail – excellence is in the details
· Flexible – if you don’t bend, you’ll break
· Calm – cool and collected
· Multitasker – there iare always lots of balls in the air
· Leadership – the ability to see a problem and be the solution
Major Resonsibilities (but not limited to):
- Provide direct leadership to multiple Before and After School Care Programs, Summer Club programs and Breaks programs with a focus on building a strong team
- Coach, develop and support staff and volunteers teams to achieve excellence in service orientation
- Ensure the delivery of high quality programs and services that meet Provincial Licensing Legislation and YMCA requirements and standards
- Responsible for meeting budget targets and implementation of a sound business plan
- Be an engaged and integral part of a cohesive management team, working to achieve the mission of the YMCA of Northern BC
· Works independently, making decisions and executing work with minimal support, in an environment with many urgent and competing priorities.
· This position deals with multiple demands, deadlines and dealing with the day to day interruptions from strategic initiatives
· Work involves a moderate amount of physical, mental and visual demands
· Travel between multiple centres as well as an office space
· 19 years of age or older – (per licensing)
· A minimum of three years’ experience in the development and leadership of an effective, engaged team of staff or volunteers
· Training and experience with children and/or youth and families in a group child care/recreational setting
· Experience in child care and child development an asset
· Effective oral and written communication skills including strong business writing skills
· Experience in fundraising and grant writing an asset
· Computer proficient Microsoft Office applications
· Child Care First Aid Certificate required
· Immunization records
· A minimum of three years’ experience in the development and leadership of an effective, engaged team of staff or volunteers.
Knowledge of child development an asset
· Classs 5 drivers license. Class 2 or 4 an asset
· Reliable Transportation, ability to drive in a winter conditions
· Phyiscal ability to do the duties required
· Satisfactory Criminal Record and Clear Vulnerable Sector Search
· Three satisfactory professional references.
Compentencies In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, and an orientation to service, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
1. Leadership/Coaching – Ability to direct and develop performance of others to achieve desired result.
2. Negotiation/Communication/Interpersonal Skills Able to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
3. Planning/Organizing – Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term goals.
4. Problem Solving – Ability to identify an issue, gathers and processes relevant information, determine possible solutions, selects appropriate responses and implements and evaluates them.
5. Service Strategy – Ability to identify the needs and wants of members/participants as a priority and respond in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person’s YMCA experience.
6. Initiative/Enthusiasm/Innovation – Ability to manage and lead in order to achieve and exceed identified goals.
7. Community Awareness and Understanding – Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission and values of the organization.
8. Project Resource Management – Ability to manage a project from initial planning to completion.
9. Strategic Planning/Visioning - Ability to visualize future direction and formulate strategies, plans and action to achieve vision.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!