FASD Community Specialist (Full time 32 hrs/wk) - Peace River, Alberta
JOB #: J0820-0677
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Peace River, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Flexible schedule up to 32 hours/week
Compensation: $26.25 - $33.39 /Hour
Closing Date: Until suitable team member hired
The WJS Canada Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) program provides outreach and support services for adults and children affected by FASD, assists clients in obtaining an assessment/diagnosis, and helps connect individuals and their families to other local services.
We are currently recruiting a FASD Community Specialist for the Peace Country communities. This professional will provide services to individuals and families/caregivers that are experiencing chronic and persistent challenges related to FASD. The service is intended to support individuals through the assessment and diagnosis of FASD and provide subsequent support and follow up to assist in the implementation of diagnostic recommendations. This position reports to the Program Manager.
In Your Role You Will
• Work with individuals to decrease risk taking behaviors through the development of harm reduction strategies, through home visits and phone consultations
• Develop strength based case management plans and interventions and opportunities to build new, positive relationships.
• Support individuals in understanding the diagnostic process, connecting with diagnostic clinics and accompany individuals to appointments.
• Assist affected individuals (and family members, caregivers, educators, service providers, counselors, etc.) in developing positive daily living strategies.
• Make supported referrals to other services/agencies i.e., AADAC, AISH, justice agencies, housing, treatment/health related services, shelters, Food Bank, Integrative Behaviour Support Services, Parenting Programs, etc.
• Advocate for individuals and educate the community on the specific needs and issues of persons with FASD.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Two+ (2+) years of working with individuals or families affected by FASD
• Strong knowledge of FASD outreach, needs and support.
• Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Rehabilitation, Child and Youth Care or other related Human Services equivalency
• Experience and understanding of Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid Alberta Driver’s Licence, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate
• Suicide Intervention and Prevention Training
• Cultural sensitive training.
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families strong through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Home Visitation
• Supported Family Time
• Family Team Meetings, Group Conferencing
• Family Finding & Engagement
• Child in Care Services
• Foster and Kinship Care and Support
• Personal and Family Counselling
• Early Intervention or Diversion Programs
• Driver Escorts for Families
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, annual vacation and more!
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!