The Burnaby Neighbourhood House is a volunteer driven community based social service agency that provides programs and services in response to identified community needs. The role of the Youth and Children’s Program Supervisor is to support community based youth programs including: Youth Leadership, Afterschool programs, volunteer placements, and a Youth-driven birthday party initiative.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote BNH Youth Leadership programs within Burnaby community, including agencies, schools etc. in order to recruit participants.
- Plan and implement Level I leadership program for youth in grades 10-12
- Liaise with high school staff to recruit youth and place in practical supportive learning experiences within Neighbourhood House programs.
- Plan and implement Foundations leadership program for youth in grades 8-9
- Provide opportunities for and encourage youth to participate in ongoing community events such as community dinners, birthday parties, festivals and fairs.
- Work with Coordinator to provide targeted after school programs for children requiring additional support.
- Support the integration of newcomer children and youth into programs.
- Support the planning and delivery of birthday parties utilizing youth in leadership roles
- Support a team of children and youth program staff
- Promote Neighbourhood House program philosophy by ensuring programs have the opportunities to interconnect and achieve client integration across program areas.
- Maintain statistics and files as required by the Neighbourhood House.
- Other duties as required
- Diploma or certificate in related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience supporting youth and children in a social-recreational setting.
- Experience supporting children with additional behavioural needs.
- Experience with program planning & implementation.
- Experience training and supervising staff
- Strong facilitation skills
- High Five trainer certification (or willingness to obtain)
- Class 4 Driver’s license (or willingness to obtain)
- First Aid certification.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a community based social service agency supervising programs and staff.
- Understanding of community development processes and practise.
- Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity and multiculturalism.
Hours of Work: 28-30 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $20.98 plus benefits
No phone calls please and only short listed candidates will be contacted.