This exciting progressive organization is ready for a strong Human Services Manager who brings to the position senior level experience leading a person focused, social services sector program or service combined with generalist experience guiding human resource practices in an organization. As the HS Manager you will draw on your transferable skills and competencies to lead the human resources team and execute the HR program. The HS Manager is a senior staff member reporting to the two Senior Directors (Housing & Community/School Based Programs) of e4c. The HS Manager will provide collaborative, strategic leadership support and a critical oversight function for your specific HR areas of responsibility. You will be a collaborative partner to the organization’s senior leadership team and other operational leaders. You and your team will act as a support to front line staff in day-to-day work activities. You will provide professional human resource related guidance and support with the objective of adding value to e4c.
e4c Vision: Our vision is ultimately the elimination of poverty. It will be a remarkable achievement, and one which can only be accomplished collaboratively. e4c is committed to working toward this vision together with interest groups, faith communities, service organizations, funders, businesses, government, and the community at large.
Our Mission: is to change lives and grow communities:
- To be a supportive and empowering presence in times of individual, family, and community need.
- To create opportunities for people to become self -supporting, and to lead in the growth of inclusive and caring communities.
- To be dedicated to program and service excellence, and to place high priority on collaborative partnerships, inclusive transparent operations, promoting public awareness and building broad community support; and
- To be responsive to emergent needs, and to continuously seek new and creative opportunities to improve and develop services in our areas of expertise.
Our Principles of Culture
- Principles based
- Enables all staff to thrive
- Succinct but broad
- Balances role clarity and ambiguity
Qualities of Authentic e4c Leadership
- Values diverse opinions
- Cultivates a culture of trust
- Develops other leaders
- Helps people with life issues
- Sells instead of tells
- Think you, not me
- Thinks long-term
- Acts with humility
Major Job Functions:
- Long-term human resource planning to create initiatives that further the organization’s overall goals and strategies.
- Promoting an organizational culture that encourages top performance, accountability, and high morale.
- Organizational planning, development, and implementation of HR framework strategies.
- Coordinating different teams to foster collaboration and provide cross-team opportunities.
- Assessing and analyzing department budget to find ways to minimize expenses and optimize productivity.
- Inspiring and motivating employees to perform at their best through positive encouragement.
- Communicating with other senior leaders about organization’s priorities and potential projects.
- Identifying potential points of conflict and working to find solutions in order to maximize efficiency and productivity.
- Identifying opportunities to expand or shift course in order to take advantage of changes in the outside market.
- Managing and directing an inclusive and diverse employee base.
- Establishing and executing HR initiatives of:
- Talent acquisition.
- Leadership, Coaching, Mentoring.
- Develop and maintain organizational structures, competency-based job descriptions and classifications.
- Total Compensation, Rewards and Recognition.
- Performance Development/Management.
- Employee Relations/Engagement.
- Payroll and Benefits.
- Learning & Development.
- HR Administration, polices, procedure, practices, metrics, governance.
- Managing third party consultants in the execution and delivery of the listed HR initiatives.
Skills & Competencies:
- Strong leadership, consulting, coaching, negotiation, and mediation skills.
- Sets the example, builds trust, flexible, empathetic, and authentic.
- Strong operations, business and HR acumen, including problem solving skills, critical thinking, and personal initiative to enable linkage between HR initiatives and the operation of programs and services.
- Excellent self and situational awareness.
- Excellent verbal and written communications, including the ability to create high quality documents and reports.
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative manner with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to conduct effective interviews for selection as well as investigation purposes.
- Strength in driving new and creative learning strategies.
- The ability to collaborate and Influence others effectively.
- Demonstrated commitment to the organization in driving our vision and purpose.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Windows – Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and HRMS.
- Essentials of managing and delivering a vulnerable person focused program or service
- Knowledge of community and school based programs, emergency health and social services, shelters, outreach/housing services, issues faced by homeless persons and those living in poverty, and public policies addressing homelessness and poverty.
- Budgeting, reporting, planning, and auditing.
- Sound general knowledge of HR Programs, Policies, & Procedures.
- Understanding of federal/provincial laws relating to HR.
- Proficiency in MS Office package and familiar with reporting programs and HRIS.
- Working knowledge of organizational principles, change management, employee engagement, performance development and management, coaching, leadership development, on-boarding, HR metrics, payroll, pension & benefits, rewards and recognition, compensation, recruitment, labour law, and disability management.
- Thorough understanding of Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Strategic and systems thinking.
- Foster an environment of open communications within the areas of responsibility and the entire organization.
- Commitment to values-based
- Ensure adherence to employment legislation, organizational policies, governance, privacy laws in support of the organizational values and risk mitigation for the organization.
- Provide support in the development and monitoring of e4c’s culture that supports the success of strategic initiatives and promote employee wellness.
- Identify innovative tools and evaluate efficiencies and workflow processes applicable to e4c.
- Develop and maintain consistent visibility and relationship building with all organizational staff and persons the organization serves and stakeholders as required.
- Maintain strict confidentiality both in and out of the workplace
- Meet customer/partner expectations and required service levels by providing consistent, accurate and timely advice.
- Health and Safety expectations.
- Work with management to develop action plans aligned with the strategic people plan and the business strategy.
- Create internal communications materials related to your areas of responsibility.
- Represent the organization in a professional and ethical manner, at all times.
- Determine the scope and objectives of projects, set priorities, determine scheduling, resources required, budget availability, impacts, cost benefit analysis, training required for HR, leaders, and staff.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in social work, finance, business, or other related fields.
- 5+ years as a senior manager of a person served - focused social services program or service.
- 3-5 years generalist experience guiding human resources practices in an organization.
- Some experience and training in the areas of coaching, counselling, performance management, teambuilding and wellness programs, compensation, and benefits, building cultures, strategic thinking, learning techniques, managing complexity and change would be preferred.
- The ability to deal with ambiguity, tight timelines, and multiple priorities, in a fast-paced team environment with constant change.
- Experience working in an environment requiring strong multi-tasking abilities.