People who are deafblind or affected by sensory loss connect, communicate and experience the world differently. At Sensity, we create meaningful experiences by delivering individualized programming, support services, training, education and awareness.
Sensity seeks an experienced Chief Operating Officer (COO) to provide leadership and oversight to the Sensity senior leadership team to ensure quality services are developed and delivered in alignment with the Mission, Vision, Values and strategic direction of the organization. This role reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) .
- Promotes the values of Sensity within the workplace and in the community by demonstrating positive and professional relationships with individuals supported, families, employees, volunteers and other organizations.
- Provides exceptional leadership and mentorship to direct reports and demonstrates these skills for the organization as a whole
- Collaborates with the CEO in the development of long term and short term operational and management goals.
- Monitors programs and operational performance goals and provides regular updates to the CEO.
- Works with the departments to design, collect and present data and reports to assist with informed decision making for the senior leadership team.
- Leads and directs program development, work culture enhancement, consensus building and internal communications.
- Ensures that all programs, services and supports operate within Sensity Services' policies, procedures, collective agreements and guidelines, reflecting the stated values of the organization
- Ensures the continued financial viability through sound fiscal management and approves expenditures within the authority as outlined in the financial policy and procedures.
- Provides the CEO with information on spending priorities.
- Informs the CEO of any matters relating to program, services, and supports that may affect the Organization's planning priorities, goals, strategies and budget.
- Informs the CEO of any potential threats or high level risk for the organization.
- Makes recommendations on management staffing and organizational design/structure
- Oversees the performance of the following departments: Human Resources, Intervenor Services and Specialized Services departments; and completes employee performance appraisals for the Human Resources Director, Director of Services and Manager of Specialized Services.
- Addresses staff performance issues in a timely manner by creating concrete goals and developing performance improvement plans.
- Participates in activities related to the Collective Agreement, including negotiations, and grievance meetings.
- Collaborates with the Manager of Quality Assurance and Innovation to implement and maintain processes that meet accreditation requirements.
- In the absence of the CEO, the COO will assume responsibility for the operation of the organization and designate for grievance procedures and will report directly to the Chair of the Board.
- Other duties as determined and assigned by the CEO on an occasional basis
- University degree in Business Administration (MBA preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years senior management or equivalent combination of education, professional training and experience.
- Experience developing and implementing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence.
- Strong leadership skills with experience leading diverse teams.
- Strategic, analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate effectively with employees.
- Able to identify key issues creatively and strategically overcome internal challenges or obstacles.
- Strong knowledge of fiscal management and experience in planning, analysis and reporting.
- High level of initiative, integrity, confidentiality and accountability.
- Flexible and innovative approach to operational management.
- Senior management experience in a unionized environment.
- Valid Drivers' License and satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening clearance
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable and confident public speaking skills
- Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Strong data management and reporting skills
Things to know:
- Sensity offers a competitive wage and benefit plan including a health spending account
- Paid sick days
- An RRSP program where we match your contributions up to 3% of your earnings.
- Up to 50% reimbursement for the successful completion of relevant classes at other learning institutions after one year of service
- Free internal online courses
- Opportunities to participate in conferences and workshops in the community and abroad
If you are interested in the Chief Operating Officer position, please apply before September 22, 2020 by submitting your resume and cover letter through the company website . Please quote COOFT092220 on the cover letter.
All applications will be held in confidence. We thank all applicants, however, only those being considered for interview will be contacted.
Sensity Deafblind and Sensory Support Network of Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we value the importance of diversity and dignity in the workplace. We are committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted by Sensity regarding a job opportunity, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation and we will work with you to make appropriate arrangements.