Nights Community Disability Support Worker (8 hrs sleep) - Slave Lake
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Slave Lake, , Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 32-40
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Varies - Shifts will be from 7:00pm to 7:00am
Compensation: $19.72 - $21.30 /Hour
344-31 NorthEast House
The WJS Canada Community Disability Services program in Slave Lake, AB, helps people with developmental disabilities become active and involved in their communities. In our passion to improve lives and develop life skills, we encourage inclusion and participation through community living and life skill coaching, career development, rest and relief for care-givers and family support. Our wide range of local programs and services includes supported independent and semi independent living, behaviour consultation, mental health and physical care.
The Overnight Community Disability Support Worker, working 32-40 hrs/wk, (7pm - 7am), is a front-line role who assists persons with complex needs, mental health concerns, and/or developmental disabilities to live in and actively participate in their community. During overnight hours they ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
This position reports to an assigned Team Leader.
*** This 12 hr shift is 4 hrs at Regular wage and 8 hrs at sleep rate ($15/hr) ***
In Your Role You Will
• Implement person-centered plans designed to provide instruction, guidance and assistance in a helpful and supportive manner
• Support individual with their personal life planning and goal setting and achievement.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, assisting with direct care of individual when required.
• Maximize participation/inclusion at home and in the community and minimize risks in the client`s physical, social and recreational environments .
• Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
• Work with minimal supervision on an interdisciplinary team and cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
• Collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
• Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Two (2) years experience working with individuals with a developmental disability.
• Grade 12 Diploma with a preference for College Certificate or Diploma
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
• Demonstrated skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills are required as all files are electronic
• Clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention Check
• CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training ( if necessary, will consider providing training)
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, employer paid extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!