NEC recognizes the need for increased learning skills to increase success for all learners. The Literacy Coordinator position will provide quality delivery of learning supports using workshops and tutoring. Workshop topics include essay writing, computer skills, text analysis, time management, study skills, test anxiety and Standard English as a Second Dialect. This position will also support in the skills assessment of NEC applicants and adaptations for students with a documented disability. The Literacy Coordinator works with the Librarian to operate the Knowledge Centre. The incumbent reports to the Dean of Academics.
• Provide quality one-on-one and group instruction to assist students in developing and update customized training plans with learning goals.
• Work with adult learners to develop academic and related coping skills
• Develop and deliver workshops and on-on-one sessions on study skills and learning issues.
• Identify and develop an appropriate academic skills test for college applicants.
• Assist Admissions staff in the interpretation of academic skills test and accommodation of students with a documented disability.
• Maintain student files, track learning interventions, provide reports as required.
• Coordinate volunteer tutors from SFU, UBC and other institutions to work one-on-one with students who require additional support
• Work with NEC and off site location staff (if applicable) in a positive, professional, cooperative manner
• Manage project budgetary responsibilities
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required
• Knowledge of and experience working with adult education principles
• Excellent verbal, written and computer communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, display flexibility, sensitivity, creativity, and a high degree of initiative
• An equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered
• Aboriginal ancestry preferred or experience working with Aboriginal organizations
Appointment to this full-time position with probationary period will require a formal criminal record check, the details of which may preclude finalizing an offer of employment. This position is open to male and female applicants. Preference will be given to qualified Aboriginal applicants.
Closing Date: Sunday, September 20, 2020 OR UNTIL FILLED
Hours: 35 hours week
Salary: $26.01 (as per Collective Agreement)
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!