About the Position:
The HR Advisor is responsible for providing human resources advising to internal client groups on employee relations matters, conduct thorough workplace investigations and makes recommendations upon conclusion of investigation findings. The HR Advisor will provide support to the overall HR Department functions and be responsible for managing the recruitment and selection process and HR Support ticketing system. This position is also responsible for developing and facilitating training and development sessions for Managers and staff on HR topics including performance management, conflict resolution, and HR policies.
Reports to: Human Resources Manager
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Employee Relations:
- First point of contact for internal customers on enquires related to HR matters based on established processes and guidelines
- Provides managers with employee relations support, guidance and counsel in all areas of people management including, coaching & performance management
- Reviews and initiates actions to resolve employee concerns and escalates as appropriate
- Facilitates timely resolution of all employee relations issues and workplace conflict, including conducting workplace investigations
Training & Development:
- Provides training/coaching to managers to ensure an engaged and productive workforce including talent management and performance management; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; providing HR analytics reports and recommends best practices.
- In collaboration with the managers, ensures all regulatory training is conducted on annual basis (i.e. office health & safety, bullying in the workplace, preventing harassment and discrimination in the workplace, privacy, etc.).
- Provides training/coaching to staff on employment regulations and internal policies, procedures and best practices
Recruitment & Selection:
- Prepare job postings
- Pre-screen candidates
- Schedule interview arrangements
- Conduct employment and education verification checks
- Conduct criminal background checks through third-party vendor
- Undertake reference checks
- Assists the managers to ensure that preliminary documentation is completed and all requirements met before hiring, and on termination
- Maintains the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for various positions as indicated.
- Maintains HR management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures. Updates the HR manual accordingly.
- Manages all correspondences and information related to employee relations and personnel information in a confidential manner.
- Provides support in implementing human resources programs and services with established processes and guidelines
- Conducts exit interviews
- Performs other related HR duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of generalist experience in Human Resources including employee relations, recruitment and selection, training and development and performance management experience
- Post-Secondary education specializing in Human Resource Management or suitable combination of education and experience
- Excellent knowledge in provincial and federal employment laws, regulations and related legislations
- CPHR designation preferred
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations an asset
Job Skills & Abilities:
- Professional written and oral business communication skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a team environment and able to work independently
- Effective and efficient in decision-making, conflict resolution, problem-solving and risk management
- Excellent advisory and coaching abilities
- Excellent customer service focus
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to support change management
- Displays tact, diplomacy, good judgement and use discretion with highly confidential and sensitive employee information.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office applications and HRIS/HRMS systems