Position Title: LINC Instructor (Evening)- CLB 1/2
Start Date: October, 2020
Hourly Rate of Pay: $35.70 per hour
Reports to: Manager, Language Programs
Hours: Full-time (9 hours per week)
Location: Works remotely now. Will work from NYCH sites in future
For almost 30 years, North York Community House (“NYCH”) has been working with new immigrants and residents in northwest Toronto, providing the resources and opportunities they need to achieve their goals. We believe that everyone has the potential to lead a successful life in Canada and can play a role in building
strong, resilient neighbourhoods – they just need the knowledge, skills, confidence and connections. This is the support North York Community House provides; this is where community lives.
The purpose of this position is to plan and implement English Language instruction for newcomers. The ( Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) LINC Instructor provides information and referrals to students regarding appropriate community resources and services, maintains current and accurate student monthly records and statistical forms, and submits them to the Manager, Language Programs. The position also reports on administrative, curriculum and students issues and liaises with LINC childminders and other instructors on site. We are seeking someone who can deliver the material with passion and an upbeat energy, so that students are eager to attend classes, have fun, and enjoy the company of their classmates while also learning.
- Develop and maintain lesson plans, and goals and objectives for program in adherence with LINC curriculum guidelines and adult learner needs
- Ability to design innovative modules and lesson plans that teach language and how to integrate into Canadian culture
- Provide effective and appropriate instruction to students
- Use tools and technology to provide most effective service possible-Identify and use resources and technology appropriate to support the English language training at the relevant level
- Accommodate special learning needs identified by students
- Coordinate relevant field trips and guest speakers
- Evaluate students on a regular basis
- Provide information and referrals to students regarding appropriate community resources and services
- Adhere to attendance policy, and communicate this policy to students
- Maintain current and accurate student records and statistical forms, and submit monthly to supervisor
- Maintain records of tokens dispensed to students and submit regularly
- Purchase instructional materials when appropriate, with supervisor approval
- Report regularly to Coordinator regarding administrative, curriculum and student issues
- Work with other NYCH staff and programs to ensure integrated service to students and their families
- Liaise with LINC child care workers and other instructors on site to provide holistic service to students
- Participate in and support NYCH events
- Attend LINC staff meetings
- Current and valid TESL Ontario accreditation
Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of LINC curriculum guidelines, Canadian Language Benchmarks, Portfolio based language assessment
- Experience teaching newcomer adults (specifically for level required)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong understanding of the issues and challenges faced by newcomers
- Understand a business environment in order to convey the general cultural climate in a company.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to use humour, compassion and active listening effectively
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Ability to work within an anti-discrimination, anti-oppression framework, and create a safe, respectful environment for students
- Ability to read classroom dynamics and adjust approach in order to deliver the materials most effectively in line with needs of the student.
- Proficiency with computer applications including Microsoft, internet research, language learning platform
A criminal reference check is required for this position.