Permanent Full Time (35 hours per week)
(Afternoon/Evenings and Weekends Required)
The Mental Health Worker will assist mental health clients with activities of daily living in a residential setting. Workers will provide life skills instruction in a variety of areas thereby increasing the client’s independence.
KEY DUTIES AND Responsibilities
- Assists clients in the residence and in the community to allow them to function more independently. Develops knowledge of local resources/activities Makes referrals to other programs and resources if required.
- Monitors residents’ well-being. Assists clients with activities of daily living. Can assist residents with cooking, budgeting, etc. Depending on residents’ needs and abilities, worker may prepare meals, provide medication services, and provide laundry services as well as other hospitality services.
- Facilitates and may engage in physical, recreational and educational activities with client.
- May assist client with attending appointments by either providing transportation when necessary, or teaching transportation routes/methods as required.
- Evaluates clients on an ongoing basis and develops plans and strategies to meet client needs. Also ensures that the clients are active participants in this process.
- Able to recognize, analyze and strategize around potential emergency situations. Reports problems to supervisor and or proper authorities.
- Provides accurate reports and log notes on clients’ progress. Reports on clients’ progress made towards goals and objectives as required.
- Makes recommendations with regard to the development of the program and participates in program evaluations. Assess strategy on an ongoing basis to ensure effectiveness of service.
- Collaborates with other professionals as needed. Liaises with other community services and organizations.
- Start times are somewhat flexible but must cover dinner time as preparation of evening meal is required.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or a related combination of education and experience (home support/residential care aide certificate/training)
- Current Level I First Aid certificate required
- FoodSafe Certificate required
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Use of a reliable vehicle for work purposes and a valid Driver’s License is required.
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of mental illnesses/medications.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as part of a staff team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop program related reference and resource materials.
- Commitment to a problem solving approach.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Crisis Line experience an asset.
* An eligibility list will be maintained for up to 6 months.
Resumes will be reviewed starting [September 22, 2020] but the posting will remain open until filled and will close without notice.
NOTE: Options Community Services Society is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce. Applicants not selected for an interview will not necessarily be notified. An eligibility list will be maintained for up to 6 months. Eligible applicants may be offered a casual position.