Community Disability Support Worker (temp, part time 8am-4pm) - Vegreville, Alberta
Job ID J0920-0630
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Temporary, Part-Time
Location: Vegreville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 56 hrs bi-weekly
Scheduled Days & Hours: Week #1: 4 shifts (8AM-4PM) - Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat AND Week#2: 3 shifts (8AM-4PM) - Sun, Wed, Thurs
Compensation: $20.09 - $23.09 /Hour
Helping people with diverse abilities thrive in their communities.
The Disability Support program at WJS Canada works to improve the lives of persons with developmental disabilities and mental health concerns, by focusing on building life skills, social and communication skills; encouraging independence, self expression and creativity. We offer support in all areas, from health and behaviour issues to social, cultural and spiritual.
Temporary part time position 56 hrs bi-weekly on a 2 week rotation
Community Disability Support Workers (CDSW) provide high quality, personalized care, helping those we serve to overcome their challenges and develop their strengths. We ensure a full life by nurturing, creativity friendships and encouraging community inclusion.
Working in a variety of settings - residential homes, day programs and accompanying the persons served throughout the community, Disability Support Workers will call upon their previous experience to provide individuals with developmental disabilities and complex mental health needs with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health concerns to build independence and community inclusion through life skills and social/occupational skills
• Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Teaching or assisting the individual to complete daily household tasks which may include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• 1 year similar experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs. Other experience such as Nursing or Health Care Aide may be considered.
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and active participation in the community.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!