Nights Community Disability Support Worker - Barrhead
Job ID: J0820-0040
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Barrhead, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 32-40
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Set rotation with sleep hours 4-8 hours
Compensation: $20.09 - $23.00 /Hour
336-43 Auto Alley - Barrhead
WJS Canada is hiring highly qualified Disability Service Workers for the "Auto Alley" residential home in Barrhead to support/supervise individuals with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities including: developmental delays, epilepsy, Disruptive Behavior Disorder and PTSD. Challenging behaviours will occur on a daily basis and therefore, only those with previous experienced with de-escalation techniques and providing supports to persons with high behaviours and complex needs will be contacted for an interview.
The Overnight Community Disability Support Worker, working 32-40 hrs/wk, assists persons with complex needs, mental health concerns, and/or developmental disabilities to live in and actively participate in their community. During overnight hours the DSW ensures a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
This position reports to an assigned Team Leader.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
Sleep hours for this position is 4-8 hrs depending on shift.
In Your Role You Will
• Support/supervise complex behavioural, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities); observing & documenting changes
• May be required to perform physical restraints (holds) on an individual to stop an individual from violent or destructive behaviours that place themselves or others at risk.
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis.
• Provide individualized supports within a consistent, healthy & safe environment
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MUST HAVE 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma.
• Ability to work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Social Work, Special Education or related field
• Valid class 5 driver license (or GDL and 2 years driving experience) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Trauma Informed Practice, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Behaviour Management, Conflict Resolution, Food Safe
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada provides social services to children, youth, adults and families facing difficulties. We provide support and services to persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth, offenders who wish to rejoin and contribute to their community and adults recovering from an acquired brain injury.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!