The John Howard Society Pacific (JHS) is a non-profit organization which provides the opportunity to work with purpose, and impact change in your community. We are a dynamic, innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all. We do this through a continuum of programs which provide assistance with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services, with the goal of helping individuals achieve greater independence.
To learn more, visit www.jhspacific.ca
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO CANDIDATES
As an essential service provider in a challenging and unprecedented time, we are proud to continue recruiting amazing candidates to help us meet the needs of the vulnerable people we serve. As we transition our recruitment processes in response to COVID-19, please bear with us as we work to ensure that all parties involved in the process stay safe. This means that there may be delays in following up with shortlisted candidates, and in the recruitment process overall, however we are committed to moving our recruitment processes forward wherever possible to welcome new members to our team.
Morning: 08:00 - 16:00
Evening: 16:00 - 00:00
Nights: 00:00 – 08:00
This position will provide support to residents in areas relating to individual risk and needs in order to ease their transition to the community and assist in their reintegration efforts, ensure the orderly and safe operation of the facility, and maintain the goals of the federal programs.
- Provides input to the Program Manager and/or other staff with regard to the development and progress of appropriate care plans to achieve the resident's objectives and assumes a primary worker role with assigned resident(s)
- Assists the Program Manager and/or other staff in the identification of potential problems and reports any difficulties
- Maintains client files including statement of goals, case/care plans, summaries, case notes, reviews and closing reports
- Ensures residents are in compliance with the terms of their residency and are aware of the rules of the facility
- Supervises the activities of the residence, its residents and volunteers, while on shift including maintaining case notes and the logbook
- Along with the other residence staff, monitors and ensures effective operation of the facility including quality control concerning cleaning equipment, indoor and outdoor maintenance, inventory, food services and safety
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time
- Graduate with a Diploma or Certificate with one year related experience
- Counselling experience in the appropriate field and demonstrate a clear ability to respond will in crisis situations
- Demonstrated experience in an applicable residential setting
- Ability to satisfy the requirements of the residence contractor in regard to previous criminality as deemed necessary
- Demonstrated a good working knowledge of the technical details important to the functioning of group residences
- Awareness of Correctional Services Canada (the contractor) concerns, laws and policies related to the specific residence program
- Demonstrated the ability to teach skills and work effectively with others
- Knowledge of theory, principles and practices in the fields related to the particular residence
- Demonstrated a strong ability to deal with crisis situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Strong desire to work as part of the facility and the JHS staff team.
- Certificate in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
- Food Safe Certificate as required
- Ability to successfully complete a Security Clearance and Criminal Records Check
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Class 5 driver’s licence depending on program location and needs
- Legally entitled to work in Canada, including by reason that you are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or Possess a current government-issued work permit.
WHAT WE OFFER?
- Committed Living Wage Employer
- Opportunity to work with purpose for nonprofit organization
- Great work environment
- Competitive benefits
- Chance to grow in a diverse range of programs
- Internal training and development opportunities