PLEA Community Services is currently seeking two (2) Regular Full-Time Licensed Practical Nurses for our FolkStone team. The proposed start date is October 19, 2020. This position requires union membership.
The residents who access our FolkStone program are adults who have complex personal and social needs that require a heightened level of support, health care, medical supervision, and specialized services. The incumbent assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care for the work assignment in accordance with the competency guidelines within the Professional Standards outlined by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC and the current legislative scope of practice.
Please submit a resume and cover letter referencing the competition number 2020082LPN2. Closing date for Internal Applications: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 4:30 PM. If the position is not filled internally, it will remain open until filled.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care to meet the needs of clients in accordance with competency guidelines within the established standards of practice and current legislative scope of practice.
- Shares knowledge, provides direction, assignment and supervision to unregulated care providers as appropriate.
- Provides input regarding clients' needs, performance and progress. Attends multidisciplinary care meetings.
- Performs nursing care and procedures and evaluates outcomes.
- Encourages and assists clients in activities of daily living as required, such as feeding, lifts and transfers, bathing, oral hygiene and toileting.
- Administers medication to clients and provides medication reminders in accordance with established policy and procedures.
- Observes clients and their environments, and reports unsafe conditions and behavioural, physical and/or cognitive changes to supervisor.
- Provides emotional support and feedback to clients and their families.
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as progress notes, observations and client charting. Reports problems and/or changes to designated staff. Answers general inquiries by telephone and in person and provides direction and routine information about programs and policies.
- Identify social, economic, recreational and educational services in the community that will meet the needs of individuals and assist them to participate as appropriate and as dictated by their desires and person-centred plans.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
Education and Knowledge
- Graduation from an approved Practical Nursing Program;
- Current Registration with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Training and Experience
- One year recent related experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience recognized by the BCCNM.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to apply decision making and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work.
- Ability to work pursuant to the standards of practice under the BCCNM.
- Ability to implement the nursing process as a systematic guide to client-centered care.
- Ability to perform skills which demonstrate thinking capacity.
- Ability to conduct oneself in a professional manner.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Clearance.
- Must possess a valid Occupational First Aid Level 1 Certificate or be willing to obtain one prior to hire.
- Use of personal vehicle. This position requires travel in the Lower Mainland, the Northwest Territories, and the Fraser Valley.
- A valid B.C. Driver's License (Class 5 or Class 7), and suitable driver's abstract.
- The usual hours of work in this position are based on a Monday to Friday flextime scheduling arrangement of 37.5 working hours per week.
- Documentation that the applicant is legally approved to work in Canada.
Note: PLEA conducts primary source verification of applicant's credentials including education, training, work history, and licensure.