Community Disability Support Worker – Bonnyville, Alberta
Job ID J0920-1289
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 41
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: This position will work 29 hours at Maple House and 12 hours at Main Residence. Week#1: Sun 9am-5pm, Mon 8pm-9am (sleep shift), Tues 10am-3pm(Main House), Thurs 10am-3pm(Main House), Friday12pm-8pm
Week#2: Mon 8pm-9am (sleep shift), Tues 10am-3pm(Main House), Wed 12pm-8pm, Thurs 10am-3pm(Main House), Fri12pm-8pm
Compensation: $18.70 - $21.63 /Hour
Closing Date: Until filled
Working various shifts (days, overnights and weekends) in two program homes:
29 hrs/wk @ Program - Bonnyville Maple House
12 hrs/wk @ Program – Main Residence
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate (Ex. Main Residence) is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
The Disability Services Worker (DSW), under supervision of his/her supervisor, facilitates and monitors education and development programs for purposes of providing individuals in residential service with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision both in the residence and the community. Disability Service Workers develop relationships and act as a liaison with the community, family members, guardians and employers. This position reports to the team leader.
In Your Role You Will
• Assists and supports individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensures individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observes/documents physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
• Assists with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Participates and supports planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Further develops skills and knowledge within human practice fields.
• Communicates/documents information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!