JOB POSTING #2020-108-03
Child Care Worker
Wage: $17.68 - 18.68 per hour
Casual – On Call
Archway Community Services has been helping people since 1969. We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life. Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all. We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership. Come help us help people.
Provides support and direct care to children, encouraging their intellectual, physical, and emotional growth.
- Carries out developmentally appropriate activities and experiences for the children, which may include indoor/outdoor, active/quiet, individual and group activities. Supervises children.
- Utilizes guiding techniques which include modelling, observing, questioning, demonstrating and reinforcing.
- Attends to the children’s physical needs which may include toileting, eating, sleeping, wiping noses, and other basic needs.
- Attends to children’s psychological and emotional needs which may include cuddling, rocking, holding infants and children. Provides a caring, nurturing environment.
- Ensures a healthy and safe environment. Administers First Aid when necessary. Observes and removes potential hazards. Reports all incidents of child abuse to the supervisory position and follows organization’s procedures and government legislation
- Follows licensing requirements or equivalent program guidelines. Maintains confidentiality of all information related to participants.
- Provides other related duties as required.
Requirements and Qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Minimum requirement of 20 Hour Responsible Adult Training, Family Childcare Certification or ECE Assistant Status through ECE Registry.
- Early Childhood Certification an asset.
- Current First Aid certificate is required.
- At least 1-year experience providing care to children.
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Strong written, verbal, and active listening skills, able to communicate effectively and respectfully with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability and comfort in talking to children and their parents.
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Knowledge of early childhood development (ages and stages).
- Knowledge of age appropriate group process and facilitation techniques.
- This position will be exposed to a high level of noise and distractions from children. Will require close attention to children’s physical and emotional needs. Direct delivery may include moderate physical activity involving walking, standing, bending and lifting children up to 40 lbs. Work may be outside normal office hours, including evenings.
Closing date is October 18, 2020