Hours of Work: 37.5 hours a week (office hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm)
Probationary period: 3 months
Seniors Services Society of BC is a non-profit agency located in New Westminster, B.C. which provides support services for seniors in New Westminster to live independently, as well as housing outreach services for seniors in housing crisis across Metro Vancouver.
Within the vision and mission statements of the Society, reporting to the Housing Services Supervisor, we are seeking a confident, skilled and self-directed Seniors Housing Outreach Worker, who uses their own vehicle, can immediately take on a caseload of homeless and at-risk seniors and finds them appropriate housing and services to support their long-term well-being within Metro Vancouver.
Key Work Objectives:
• Provide intensive housing outreach services to a caseload of older adults who are homeless or at risk of imminent homelessness in Metro Vancouver
• Assist clients in securing long term affordable and appropriate housing and securing any necessary supports for independent living
• Assist homeless and at-risk clients in accessing emergency shelter and support services as needed
• Network with service providers and make referrals for your clients as appropriate including the health authority, mental health, and addiction support services
• Build working relationships with housing providers such as BC Housing, non-profit housing providers and private landlords
• Work with building managers and landlords to prevent evictions of clients when necessary
• Maintain timely, accurate and appropriate records as required and prepare reports as requested
• Communicate with clients honestly and clearly regarding our ability to assist them, and manage any unrealistic expectations
• Represent the agency at the community events when requested, and
• Any other duties as required or assigned
• Post-secondary education or equivalent work experiences in any of the following areas: social work, community social service, gerontology or mental health and addiction. Or equivalent life and work experience will be taken into consideration.
• Minimum two years’ experience working with those who are homeless, living with mental health and/or addiction concerns in an outreach capacity.
• Excellent and dynamic interpersonal and communication (verbal, non-verbal, written and listening) skills
• Knowledgeable in community resources for seniors in BC
• Understanding of systems that can lead to homelessness and/or poverty
• Must have own vehicle and valid class 5 driver’s license to the outreach work
• Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certificate and Mental Health First Aid certificate are assets
• Ability to prioritize one’s workload based on clients’ needs and multitask
• Valid First Aid certificate
• Must be willing to provide a criminal record check with the vulnerable sector clearance
• Ability to balance work/life
Other knowledge, skills, and abilities:
The successful applicant will be a motivated individual who can work under minimum supervision. They must be a team player, be patient, an effective communicator and able to build positive relationships with co-workers, volunteers, clients, housing providers, and community stakeholders. Thorough knowledge of government and community resources and programs for seniors and those defined as, ‘hard to house’ a definite asset. The applicant will be a creative problem solver who can remain calm under tough situations and timelines. The applicant will be a highly organized individual who is detail oriented.
Hourly range is $20-23/hour (Depends on the experience and qualifications). This is a permanent full-time position – 37.5 hours per week. Regular office hours are from Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm. Comprehensive benefit package will be available after successful completion of the probationary period.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via e-mail or fax only. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. We thank for all applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!