The Home Construction Regulatory Authority (HCRA) is a private not-for-profit corporation that if designated by the Government of Ontario, will be the regulatory authority responsible for licensing of Ontario’s new home builders and vendors. HCRA intends to foster improved home quality and home buyer confidence in the home building industry through modernized licensing standards, education and compliance, providing increased consumer protection through enhanced regulatory measures. To learn more about HCRA please visit www.hcraontario.ca.
HCRA is seeking a knowledgeable professional to fill the role of Legal Counsel. Reporting to the General Counsel, you will:
• provide counsel and legal services on corporate, governance and operational regulatory matters required for the administration and enforcement of the New Home Construction Licensing Act,
• provide legal opinions on various interpretations of legislation and applicable law, analyze and resolve legal issues and governance matters arising from board and committee meetings;
• provide legal advice in support of Registrar order-making and licensing decisions, inspections and compliance activities including support the drafting of Registrar orders and decisions, and related documents;
• represent the HCRA at Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT) hearings and related legal proceedings; brief the General Counsel and CEO/Registrar, providing advice on litigation strategies and settlement options;
• conduct legal research; advise on regulatory and legislative matters translating them into operating policies and procedures; and
• lead/participate in special projects dealing with legislative and policy review and any impending legislative changes.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following:
A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
A minimum of six years of post-call experience in regulatory law, professional discipline law, administrative law, civil litigation or prosecutions or broad-based general practice or in-house counsel experience.
Knowledge of regulatory law, administrative and corporate law, civil law, criminal law, consumer protection law and administrative authority models. Legal knowledge and understanding of HCRA’s legislative and compliance framework, relevant legislation (e.g. New Home Construction Licensing Act, 2017) and precedents is an asset
Proven analytical and legal research skills with ability to research and evaluate issues, assess options, and develop recommendations.
Demonstrated problem-solving, dispute resolution and negotiation skills with a track record of effectively working with and influencing various business units across all levels of an organization.
Experience with administrative law tribunals, quasi-judicial proceedings and case management systems.
Political acuity to recognize and respond in a timely manner to legal, policy and stakeholder issues which may have impacts on the organization.
Sound knowledge of principles of accountability and risk management to ensure identification and provision of legal services that will meet HCRA’s business needs.
Strong oral and written advocacy, negotiation, interpretative, advisory and communication skills.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!