Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Research, develops and designs YWCA Hamilton’s web platforms to enhance user flow experiences and elevate the online presence of the organization. Working closely with the Manager of Media & Communications, Director of Development and members of the Development Team, the Website Developer is responsible for the coding, design and layout of YWCA Hamilton’s website(s). The Website Developer is a problem solver who understands and anticipates user requirements and needs and believes in producing user-friendly and intuitive online experiences, builds attractive sites, updates copy and designs to strengthen YWCA Hamilton’s overall web portfolio.
- Writes efficient code and works closely with team members to develop and deploy web content and design spaces that effectively attract, retain and engage users across all online platforms;
- Designs sitemaps, streamlines navigation, develops web pages, tests and gathers feedback to strengthen YWCA Hamilton’s core website and all micro-sites using AODA best practices;
- Researches, tests, implements and evaluates different plugins and software programs;
- Implements attractive web designs by publishing content, and maintaining consistency of themes and layouts using authentic imagery that reflects a unified brand voice reflective of YWCA Hamilton’s mission, vision and values;
- Updates, manages and monitors YWCA Hamilton’s core website via WordPress and event micro-sites via Raisin through HTML/CSS to effectively communicate YWCA programs, services and campaigns;
- Works in collaboration with YWCA Hamilton’s IT Team and ICT service provider to ensure all website needs are fulfilled;
- Analyzes metrics such as time-on-page, daily sessions, etc. along with Google Ad Word and SEO to recommend website copy revisions and completes revisions with the user and brand voice in mind;
- Pays particular attention to emerging trends, leading practices and industry professional standards aimed at creating functional and user inspired web experiences;
- Serves as a YWCA Hamilton brand ambassador, and provides support, insight and recommendations to Development team members to inform communications priorities, strategies and needs across the organization;
- Finds creative ways to problem solve and troubleshoot web based issues, always keeping website security and the user experience top of mind;
- Develops and implements appropriate systems to ensure monitoring of projects and initiatives in compliance with work schedules and outcomes including timelines, calendars, spreadsheets, and reports as necessary to track and define work;
- Oversees website strategies and monitor budgets/expenses;
- Maintains appropriate record-keeping and expense reporting, manages, codes and submits all related invoices and attribute to program areas in accordance with YWCA Hamilton’s policies and procedures, and confidentiality/privacy policies;
- Provides regular reports and updates to Manager, Media and Communications and Director of Development when requested;
- Identifies and evaluates risks associated with communications or events initiatives and takes appropriate action to control risks;
- Provides recommendations to strengthen existing policies or processes;
- Nurtures and forms meaningful internal and external working relationships and partnerships;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Works a standard 37.50-hour work week;
- Occasional evenings and weekends and travel may be required.
- Minimum 2 years’ educational experience in computing and/or computer science;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in website development with working knowledge of marketing and communications;
- Excellent copywriting and collaboration skills;
- Experience in the planning and delivery of web applications across multiple platforms;
- An adaptable team player with a user-centric mindset;
- Incredible attention to detail, creative and analytical with an understanding of interaction design principles;
- Experience in UX Design, UI Design, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and MS Office applications including Work, Excel and Outlook is asset;
- In-depth knowledge of content and web management systems (Word Press) and HTML;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends and travel;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.