Male Only: Part Time Complex Behaviours Disability Support Worker - SIL - Edmonton
Job ID J1020-0790
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Part-Time
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 29 hrs per week
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: SIL Program: 11:30-3:30, 10:30- 3:30 and 11:00- 5:00 (Mon- Friday) Evenings at 24 hr home: 4:00pm- 8:00pm Odd weekends may be required.
Compensation: $20.09 - $23.00 /Hour
302-34 Edmonton Birch House/Supportive Independent Living (SIL)
WJS Canada works with challenged individuals develop socially acceptable behaviours and make connections within their communities. Support services are based on empowering individuals to develop to their maximum potential in the least disruptive manner possible, we accomplish this by tailoring individual behavioural support plans to meet their emotional, behavioral and mental health needs.
WJS Canada is hiring for a highly motivated Complex Behaviours Disability Support Worker to support/supervise a client (1:1 single staffed) with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities including: emotional trauma, high risk behaviors, FASD, psychosis, Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) and Acquired Brain Injury (ABI). In this role, you will deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis.
**This position requires a male worker.**
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement:
This a gender-specific position based upon the behaviour and needs of the person served.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
In Your Role You Will
• Instruct, guide and support the client with life skills, behaviour management and community inclusion in a helpful and supportive manner
• Support individuals with their personal life planning and goal setting and achievement.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills.
• Maximize participation/inclusion at home and in the community.
• Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
• Work with minimal supervision
• Solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions as a team.
• Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
• Collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
• Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
Preference will be given to mature, physically fit and highly skilled applicants with significant experience in Disability Services & challenging behaviours.
• Only those applicants with a minimum 2+ years experience working with persons with aggressive behaviours & significant mental health concerns will be considered for this challenging position
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Personal care/hygiene experience.
• Valid class 5 driver license (not GDL – no restrictions) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence; physical intervention skills an asset
• Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures & Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Ability to apply for other career opportunities with WJS Canada
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply to JOB J1020-0790 online at www.wjscanada.com
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!