LOWER MAINLAND PURPOSE SOCIETY
Position: Young Parent Support Worker – Full Time
Location: 40 Begbie Street, New Westminster
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
- Provide assistance to young parents up to the age of 25 to resume or continue their education by providing support both to young parents accessing Ready Set Grown Children’s Center, as well as young parents within the community.
- Adhere to the Society Policies and Procedures, Operational Guidelines and manuals.
Education, Training and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree or diploma in the social sciences field.
- A certificate in Early Childhood Education beneficial.
- One to three years previous work with young parents or youth in general.
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Must have an excellent ability to integrate child development theory and practise into work.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with young parents/youth. Ability to establish caring and nurturing relationships with children.
- Strong ability to resource services and information offered in the community.
- Demonstrate skills in community development and organization.
- Strong ability work effectively independently and within a team.
- Professionalism when collaborating with outside agencies and professionals.
- Knowledge of licensing requirements and the commitment and ability to ensure compliance.
- Well-developed written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Ability to perform moderate physical activity including walking, standing, bending, lifting children and housekeeping duties.
- Must have strong boundary skills.
- The Young Parent Support Worker reports to the Program Director for Youth & Families. In the case of emergency and the Program Director for Youth and Families is unavailable, the Young Parent Support Worker can report to the Executive Director or the Program Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engages with pregnant or parenting youth in the community on an outreach and one-to-one basis.
- Create a service plan of goals for service with client and assist in attainment of said goals.
- Act as an advocate for client.
- Provide support throughout involvement in educational programs, youth agreements, agreements with young adults, and other services clients’ access.
- Accompany clients to appointments.
- Follow up with clients upon completion of programs.
- Assist daycare staff in the provision of childcare as necessary.
- Maintain accurate and complete intake documents for each new client and ensure all paperwork is up to date and meet professional standards. Progress reports, service plans and quarterly reports to be completed on time.
- Collect statistical data as required.
- Provide support and educational groups to young parents.
- Liaise with community services and engage in consultation and case planning with relevant service providers as required.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of community resources and services while identifying and assessing immediate needs of clients and refer to appropriate community resources.
- Keep current on issues affecting young parents and the trends in young parenting programs.
- Facilitate client participation in evaluating activities.
- Is knowledgeable of, and adheres to pertinent legislation regarding the protection of children.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all information related to the organization’s clients and staff.
- Complete file closure reports when a client’s file is closed.
- Attend regular peer supervision and staff meetings.
- Attend quarterly Young Parent Program meetings. Times/locations to be determined.
- Maintain accurate timesheets and submit on a bi-weekly basis. Keep track of mileage and expenses and submit monthly.
- Position requires 35 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work required.
- This position is primarily outreach work and time and task management are essential.
- This position requires use of a vehicle. Holding a Class IV Driver’s license is an asset.
- A valid First Aid certificate is required.
- Food Safe certification is beneficial.
- As a condition of employment all employees must pass a Criminal Record check.