Nights (Awake) Disability Support Worker - Bonnyville
Job ID#: J1020-1269
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 36
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Varied shifts.
Compensation: $20.29 - $23.20 /Hour
WJS Canada operates several community living programs in the town of Bonnyville to support people with developmental disabilities in becoming active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, and dual diagnosis. Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on the individuals and their progress. We encourage daily independence and self-sufficiency together with community inclusion.
The Night shift Community Disability Support Worker (DSW) provides individualized support and encouragement to adults with developmental disabilities. They require home support to set and achieve independent living skills goals (budgeting, cooking, healthy eating, etc.). During overnight hours, the awake night shift worker will ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and be available to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Assist residents with daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum High School Diploma
• Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent preferred
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
• A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, employer paid extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online for JOB# J1020-1269 at www.wjscanada.com
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!