LANGUAGE SUPPORT WORKER
Permanent Part-Time (21 hours per week)
Note: Successful candidate will be required to work 28 hours per week until March 31, 2021
Community Connections Program
This is a permanent part-time opportunity (21 hours per week) on an ongoing basis, which provides operational and administrative support to Immigrant Services and Community Connections Newcomer Language Program. However, there will be a requirement for the incumbent to work 28 hours per week until March 31, 2021.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Record, maintain, and report client data and information through relevant/approved OCS Forms, OCMS and iCare databases; complete all required/assigned reports.
- Work closely with instructors to co-ordinate and monitor client registration, assessment, class placement and attendance.
- Work closely with language instructors and Community Connections Manager to support promotional strategies/activities to recruit new clients for Newcomer Language Program.
- Support Community Connections Program Manager in scheduling Child Minding Support Service and managing tasks related to bus ticket management such as distributing them to staff, keeping track of client signatures, ordering bus tickets, and maintaining up-to-date financial record of bus ticket expenses
- Contribute to PQI and Strategic Directions/Goals of Newcomer Language Program, and being proactive in identifying areas for improvement.
- Liaise with Community Connections Program Manager, Language Instructors and students to facilitate communication between them.
- Participate in outreach activities/special events as required.
- General office and classroom maintenance as assigned, including tidiness of service site(s).
- Perform other administrative duties as required, including photocopying, taking meeting minutes, filing, room set-up/clearing for meetings and activities and reception duties such answering phone calls and greeting and directing clients.
- Support Immigrant Services Program Managers to compile financial, service/activity statistics and reports, including Client Satisfaction Surveys, Annual Stakeholder Surveys, other program-relevant statistics such as volunteer stats, etc.
- Follow written and verbal directives from Program Manager, Senior Manager and Executive Director or designate.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education, Training, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or a combination of relevant training, education and experience working in Social Services or office administration fields.
- Experience working with OCMS and iCare databases is an asset.
- Experience working with newcomers, vulnerable populations and/or volunteers is an asset.
- Class 5 Driver’s License and reliable vehicle is an asset.
- Current Level 1 First Aid certificate is an asset.
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient verbal and written knowledge of English.
- An additional language is an asset.
- Understanding of social service programming and resources, multiculturalism and immigrant/refugee issues.
- Strong communication, interpersonal/relationship-building intercultural competency, as well as crisis intervention, conflict resolution, critical thinking and problem solving skills/techniques.
- Strong level of computer proficiency; in particular, strong Microsoft Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel spreadsheet, database, internet/email, scanning skills and comfort with desktop publishing (MS Publisher).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural and diverse environment.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside of regular work hours.
- Crisis Line experience an asset.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search preceding your start date.
* An eligibility list will be maintained for up to 6 months.
Resumes will be reviewed starting November 13, 2020 but the posting will remain open until filled and will close without notice.
Please include a cover letter clearly indicating the posting number [#A21672] and outlining your qualifications and related experience for the position.