Hours: 35 hours per week
Starting Salary: $24.00 per hour
- Health benefits package (upon completion of probationary period)
- 3 weeks of vacation per year
- Support for professional development
Reports to: Manager of Community Services
Mission and Vision
The mission of the West End Seniors’ Network (WESN) is to enhance the quality of life of older adults by providing social, recreational, educational and supportive programs and services that foster connection and inclusion in the broader community.
The vision of WESN is a Vancouver community that supports and empowers older adults to live involved, healthy and fulfilling lives.
Founded in 1979, WESN delivers a range of programs and services for older adults in the West End, Coal Harbour and Yaletown neighbourhoods of Vancouver. WESN has over 950 members, more than 300 clients, and three locations:
- Barclay Manor (1447 Barclay Street)
- Kay’s Place (Denman Place Mall, 118-1030 Denman Street)
- Clothes and Collectibles Thrift Boutique (Denman Place Mall, 110-1030 Denman Street)
The LinkAGE Social Prescribing Navigator is responsible for the day-to-day delivery and administration of LinkAGE, a social prescribing service for older adults at risk of frailty in Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) City Centre (Community Health Area 1 [CHA1]).
This new service:
- Is offered in close collaboration with the Vancouver Division of Family Practice, VCH Three Bridges Community Health Centre and City Centre Urgent Primary Care Centre, Providence Health Care and local medical clinics as referring partners.
- Works closely with other community-based seniors’ services in CHA1 to ensure that older adults referred to the service can access appropriate programs and services to support their health and wellness.
The LinkAGE Social Prescribing Navigator is based at Barclay Manor and works out of Barclay Manor and Kay’s Place.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive referrals from health care providers and conduct intake appointments (either over the phone, online or in-home)
- Assist participants with setting and meeting health and wellness goals
- Support participants by connecting them with appropriate local community-based seniors’ services and wellness supports (including physical and social activity, mental health, nutrition, etc.) offered through WESN and other agencies
- Engage community-based seniors’ services to ensure they are informed about the service and are able to receive referrals
- Maintain regular communication with health care providers (referring partners), community-based seniors’ services, and participants
- Establish and host a LinkAGE Steering Committee with representatives from the Vancouver Division of Family Practice, health care providers from VCH, Providence Health Care and local medical clinics, and representatives from other key community-based agencies supporting older adults
- Track service and client information and statistics, and maintain appropriate records for funders
- Develop and maintain promotional materials
- Occasional travel with the participant to support them with accessing a program or service may be required
- Participate in WESN staff meetings
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of Barclay Manor and Kay’s Place
- Assist with website edits and with social media account management
- Support other WESN program and service activities and events as required
- Carry out other duties as assigned
Experience, Education and Training
- Experience working with older adults with a range of physical and cognitive abilities
- Experience with delivering services for older adults
- Degree or certificate in gerontology, social work or equivalent education and experience
- Experience with data collection and data entry
- Experience in the community-based not-for-profit sector is an asset
- Experience working with volunteers is an asset
- Experience with program evaluation is an asset
- First Aid, CPR and AED training is an asset
- Class 5 driver licence and FOODSAFE certification are assets
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills are essential (the ability to speak an additional language is an asset)
- Strong organizational, administrative and service coordination skills with attention to detail
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and time management skills
- Work independently and collaboratively with other WESN staff, programs and services, and other organizations
- Work with a large and diverse range of clients and volunteers
- Proficient with computer programs, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint)
- Keep accurate records and maintain databases
- Act professionally with members, clients, their families, volunteers, and the general public
- Stay on task in a busy environment and shared office space with regular interruptions
- Proactive, flexible and positive when presented with a new task or challenge
- Remain calm and think clearly in stressful situations
- Lift and move furniture and other materials to accommodate service and site needs
- Proficiency with WordPress and social media (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Hootsuite) are assets
- Issues and challenges older adults may experience
- Relevant government and community programs and services available to older adults
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal record check.
- Normal working hours are scheduled between 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday. However, working hours are flexible depending on operational requirements. The ability to work occasional evenings and weekends is required.