Family Support Worker - Vegreville, Alberta
Job Number: J1120-0546
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Vegreville, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Varies; Approximately 10am-6pm Flexible 40 hrs/wk including evenings & weekends to accommodate supporting children, youth & family schedules
Compensation: $26 - $33/hr
WJS Canada's social services provide support to youth ages 7 to 18 and their families in Vegreville and the surrounding community. The Family Support Worker, youth and their families together create a culturally responsive, customized plan, based on best practice and their specific needs. By building programs around their family unit, WJS is able to help work towards life changing results, even in the most complex of cases. Individuals, community agencies, government services, teachers and caregivers can refer youth/families to our program with their consent as well as self-referral.
The Family Support Worker, provides services to youth and families in the privacy of their own homes and their communities. Together, WJS staff and parents find ways to successfully and safely raise their children, by building on their strengths and learning new skills such as daily routine for children, attachment, development milestones, conflict resolution and so on.
With children and youth aged 7-18, we focus on mentorship, parent-teen conflicts, self esteem and conflict resolution. Services are designed to fit the youth’s particular situation and focus on building resilience, life skills and positive relationships with friends and family.
Within the community and surrounding area, the Family Support Worker helps families and youth access community resources/programs, building valuable relationships and a support network for future growth and success.
In Your Role You Will
• Travel to family homes and communities in the service area in own vehicle – travel reimbursed.
• Establish trusting relationships with youth, children & families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Evening and occasional weekend work is required, as this is the time when families with children are together and is often a stressful time for families.
• Connect children & families with support networks, outside agencies and community resources and organize ongoing service delivery.
• Work with youth & adults who need support in building stronger self-esteem, conflict management with caregivers, addiction and mental health support and other items identified by youth and family.
• With input from the youth and families develop service plans and ensure accurate client file management which involves timely documentation and record of client activities.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Social Work Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Youth Work, Social Service Worker, Addictions, etc.
• 2+ years social work experience in family support/intervention, youth work, trauma, etc.
• Previous experience in developing community events and projects to engage with youth and families, is desirable.
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset
• Suicide Intervention and Prevention Training and cultural sensitivity
• Clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention check
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Valid First Aid / CPR Certificate
• Experience working with computer software systems
• Highly motivated, and able to work independently
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families strong through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Home Visitation
• Supported Family Time
• Family Team Meetings, Group Conferencing
• Family Finding & Engagement
• Child in Care Services
• Foster and Kinship Care and Support
• Personal and Family Counselling
• Early Intervention or Diversion Programs
• Driver Escorts for Families
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply for JOB# J1120-0546 online at www.wjscanada.com
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!