POSITION STATUS: Part-Time – Permanent (Non-Union)
SCHEDULE: Weekends and flexibility required on weekdays
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
The Bob Rumball Canadian Centre of Excellence for the Deaf (BRCCED) is a provincial leader in the Deaf community.
Our Adult Residential Program (ARP) supports Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Deafblind adults some of whom have complex behavioural, developmental and/or mental health diagnoses.
The Life Skills Counsellor provide the individuals in care with opportunities to increase their level of independence in skill area such as communication, daily living, social, and community awareness based on each individual’s Life Plan.
• Assist in identifying needs for all individuals in the program
• Be familiar with all individuals programs developed from the Individual Support Plan and assist as necessary
• Plan and organize indoor and outdoor recreation activities for all individuals on a weekly basis
• Ensure all individuals are safely transported to appointments, community outings, outside programs, transportation stations and family homes
• Ensure a high level of quality care is maintained at all times
• Follow Policies and Procedures for the agency and Ministry of Community and Social Services as they apply to our individuals and standard of care.
• Use the least intrusive procedures necessary to maintain a stable environment
• Maintain a respectful attitude towards individuals at all times
• Utilize community resources & liaise with community members
• Advocate on behalf of individuals and their specific needs/goals
• Keep your team up to date on program activates at all times
• Teach, coach, mentor – life skills, daily activity schedules and community involvement
• Diploma in Human Services related field or one (1) year of experience working in a residential setting with Consumers with developmental disabilities, mental health needs and/or dual diagnosis
• Knowledge and experience working within the deaf community and fluency in ASL Experience working with community resources
• Knowledge and experience working with clinical professionals as it relates to mental health and/or behavioural needs
• Demonstrated skills with decision-making in crisis situation and the ability to effectively manage stress
• Proven ability to work well in a team, as well as independently
• Current SMG, CPR/First Aid, and Med Admin certification and be able to participate in all future trainings
• Effectively utilizes community resources, including within the broader community, Developmental sector, and Deaf communities
• Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with other workers, Consumers in care, families, and other external supporting professionals
• Demonstrated leadership, creative problem-solving abilities; good judgement and critical thinker
• Excellent communication, literacy, and interpersonal skills
• Innovation, initiative and integrity
• Demonstrated experience in computer literacy (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Valid Ontario Full G Driver’s License and clean driving record
• French language/ LSQ an asset
Interested candidates, please email resume to Human Resources
Please contact the above if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process.
PLEASE QUOTE JOB POSTING NUMBER YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posting Date: November 16, 2020 Closing Date: November 30, 2020 Start Date: Immediate
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!