Hours of Work: Regular part-time (7.5 hours per week)
Start Date: January 2021, two-year contract with the possibility of extension
Probationary period: 3 months
Society Profile: Seniors Services Society is a non-profit agency located in New Westminster, B.C. which provides support services for seniors in New Westminster to live independently, as well as housing information across BC and outreach services for seniors in the Lower Mainland.
Purpose: Within the vision and mission statements of the Society, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Bookkeeper will be responsible for maintaining accurate and current accounting of all Society funds, consistent with generally accepted accounting principles. This position will work closely with the Financial Administrator of the Society.
Key Work Objectives:
Budget and Reporting (Supporting Role)
• Works with the external auditor to ensure the completion of the year-end audit and financial statement.
• Develops the organization’s budget with consultation from the CEO.
• Prepares and monitors monthly, quarterly and annual program and agency budgets.
• Maintains and monitors financial performance of all contracts and general account.
• Ensures the production of monthly financial statements for board approval.
• Prepares financials for all new and existing contracts and for all outcome reports as required.
• Ensure annual and/or monthly reports to various funding sources are completed.
Management of Accounts payable and receivable (Primary Role)
• Manages cash and financial activities such as banking arrangements, investments, and the safeguarding of assets.
• Prepares cheques drawn on all accounts.
• Ensures that payroll occurs as scheduled and that payroll procedures are followed.
• Ensures the completion of monthly accounting procedures including accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank deposits and bank reconciliation.
• Updating the Better at Home database – Monthly invoicing for services
General control and regular activities (Supporting Role)
• Controls access to and use of the Society gas and credit cards and petty cash.
• Ensures the preparation of charitable tax receipts.
• Completes applications for GST rebates.
• Files annual Registered Charity Information Return.
• Keeps current on applicable legislation, such as Employment Standards Act, Canada Customs and Revenue Agency and Workers Compensation to ensure the Society’s ongoing compliance.
• Ensures proper allocation to funding sources of revenue and expenses.
• Provides financial expertise to Managers, CEO and Board of Directors.
• Provides back-up assistance to Group Benefits administration
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 3-4 years’ experience in the field of accounting with the professional credentials, preferably with a non-profit organization
• Knowledge of the legal frameworks and best practices related to non-profit management
• Superior organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize workloads, and meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills
• Good computer skills to work with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook) and the accounting software
• Must be able to work both independently and as a member of a team
This is a regular part-time position: 7.5 hours per week. Our office is open from Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm. Day of work is negotiable and this position will work closely with the Financial Administrator of the Society. Further, there will be some opportunities for additional hours for the vacation coverage and special events.
Depends on the qualification and experiences in the related field.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!