As a Development Officer, Legacy Marketing (new position) at the BC SPCA, you’ll be joining one of the most innovative and successful fundraising teams in Canada. The BC SPCA is funded by compassionate animal lovers who help us assist more than forty-one thousand abused, abandoned, injured and neglected animals every year. Your work will help make all of this possible.
As part of the Direct Response team and working closely with the Will and Estate Gifts team, the Development Officer, Legacy Marketing leads the marketing and stewardship of the Forever Guardian program (those who have notified us that they have included the BC SPCA in their will) and Pet Survivor Care Plan (those whose legacy is tied to the contractual care of surviving pets) through mail, phone, digital and events. This includes marketing to allied professionals to encourage promotion of Forever Guardian and Pet Survivor Care to their clients.
This position is normally based out of the BC SPCA Provincial Office in Vancouver, however, adjustments to actual work location will be made based on health and safety considerations related to the pandemic. Ability to work effectively from home/off-site, may be required.
What’s it like working at the BC SPCA?
The fundraising team prides itself on having created a fun, supportive and positive work culture. We are results-driven and committed to excellence through professionalism, compassion, collaboration and innovation (and yes, there are dogs in the office…and sometimes other animals too).
What we do:
- We’re passionate about inspiring donors to invest in helping animals live safe, healthy and loved lives, and about helping their humans too. We’re the only animal welfare organization in B.C. that has the authority to enforce laws relating to animal cruelty. And, we’re one of North America’s most progressive animal welfare organizations with evidence-based standards of care. We’re knowledge leaders.
The role of Development Officer, Legacy Marketing
Develop and implement the annual plan for marketing legacy giving including:
- Track key performance indicators and metrics. Undertake analysis to identify legacy prospects in mid-level, monthly and annual donor portfolios.
- Strategically cultivate legacy prospects through mail, digital and phone programs with the goal of identifying new expectants.
- Market Forever Guardian and Pet Survivor Care through internal publications, digital channels and donor communications, also through external directories, publications and legacy giving campaigns.
- Identify, cultivate and steward a network of allied professionals (such as financial and estate planners, lawyers, wealth management professionals etc.) and Market Forever Guardian and Pet Survivor Care to this network.
- Plan and implement Forever Guardian and Pet Survivor Care Plan stewardship activities.
While every day is different, a day in this role might include:
- Interview a new Forever Guardian in preparation for writing a story about the importance of animals in their life and why they’ve chosen to leave a legacy for use in marketing materials.
- Review a draft eblast and invitation list for an upcoming webinar about the Pet Survivor Care for estate planners.
- Work with the Development Officer, Midlevel and Monthly to update Forever Guardian marketing materials for inclusion in an annual package to monthly donors.
- Meet with an external agency to confirm timeline for the annual legacy expectant telephone campaign.
What type of person are you?
- A reliable team member who is willing to pitch in as needed to get the job done.
- A motivated and innovative problem-solver and critical-thinker.
- Someone who is adaptable and open to change – this is a dynamic fundraising team and analytics and processes are updated frequently.
- Someone who thrives working in a team but has no problems working independently. This position will require days working from home until current COVID-19 restrictions allow us to return to our office full time. However, due the complexity of our work we will have regular meetings weekly and ad hoc check-ins as required.
What skills have you developed?
- Post-secondary education in relevant discipline plus 3-6 years’ combined experience in direct marketing fundraising (or an equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer).
- Strong computer skills including strong command of the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to use a graphic design program and willingness/ability to learn others (we use Adobe and Canva).
- Knowledge of an CRM required and willingness/ability to learn others (we use Raiser’s Edge).
- Knowledge of direct marketing, legacy fundraising and stewardship strategies.
- Knowledge/experience of marketing across cultures and to diverse markets is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong ability to write clearly structured and articulated appeals.
- Comfortable working with data: establishing data points, accurate record keeping, collecting data, analysis, using data to support initiatives, and to demonstrate success, need or areas of concern.
- Attention to detail and strong interpersonal and donor relations skills
- Fast learner who is resourceful and capable of both partnering with a variety of teams and working independently, all while managing competing priorities.
- Ability to identify problems and opportunities as well as bring forward solutions.
- Ability to thrive in an open concept and fast-paced work environment and to meet firm deadlines.
- Philosophical harmony with the mission, vision and strategic direction of the BC SPCA.
The BC SPCA compensation structure is based on external benchmarks and regularly reviewed. Starting placement on the range for this position will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience.
How to apply:
If you are up for the challenge, looking for an opportunity to be involved in a great cause and legally entitled to work in Canada we would love to hear from you. Help us make a difference. Click on the link to apply: https://spca.bc.ca/about-us/careers/
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.