Respite Care - Disability Support Worker – Slave lake
Job ID: J1120-0728
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Contract
Location: Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
Scheduled Hours: 48 hrs of respite care every 10 days Begins at 5:00pm, continues all the next day/night and ends at 5:00pm on the following day
Compensation: $200 (1/2 day) - $400 /Day
Respite care is designed to help families and caregivers take a break from the daily responsibility of caring for a person with a developmental disability. Respite services have been shown to prevent or delay more costly out-of-home placements and keep all family members safe and stable in addition to:
- Helping the caregiver maintain their own health and well being by giving them time to rest or attend to their own needs
- Improving the caregivers’ ability and effectiveness to care through education and improved skill level
The Respite Care - Disability Services Worker provides support to an active male with challenging behaviors to help him to succeed within his home community. This is accomplished through the provision of physical, behavioral, emotional and social supports/supervision both in his home and community. This position reports to the team leader.
Respite care is done in the persons home in Slave Lake, Alberta.
48hrs of respite care every 10 days.
First day of Respite is half day and will commence at 5:00pm with a rate of $200.00
Second day is all day and night with a rate of $400.00
Third day is half day and will end at 5:00pm with a rate of $200.00
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
• Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Participate and support planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online to JOB# J1120-0728 at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!