Community Disability Service Worker (Full time, Days) - Westlock
Job Number: J1120-0832
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Westlock, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: 8am-6pm; 4 day rotation 4 on 4 off
Compensation: $17.09 - $20.00/hr
Program # 336-41 Westlock Kitty House
WJS Canada's Community Disability Services team in Westlock works to encourage persons with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges to build on their strengths, further develop life skills, overcome barriers and become involved in their community.
The Community Disability Support Worker working 30+ hrs/wk, 4 shifts on, 4 off rotation (8am - 6pm), will use the “tell-show-do” method and positive reinforcement to support the client to acquire/reacquire competencies in: self-help; life skills; job coaching; cognitive retraining; memory aids, etc.
In Your Role You Will
• Implement person-centered plans
• Help the individual dream about possibilities, plan and achieve.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, sometimes hands on care is required.
• Maximize participation/inclusion within home & community
• Minimize risks in the client`s physical, social & recreational environments .
• Model socially appropriate behaviours for the client & community.
• Work with minimal supervision & cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Medication administration or first aid, as needed.
• Collect/file information, prepare correspondence, ISPs, and progress reports according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges & staff communication.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Two (2) years experience working with persons with a developmental disability or mental health diagnoses.
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills - as all files are electronic
• CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online for JOB # J1120-0832 at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!