MENTAL HEALTH WORKER WITH LIVED EXPERIENCE
Permanent Full Time (35 hours per week)
Delta Mental Health Services
This position will support and facilitate activities within the components of the Delta Mental Health services including Clubhouse and Supported Living programming within the model of psychosocial rehabilitation. Facilitates recovery-oriented services and provides support, coaching, education, training and advocacy from a lived perspective to clients, families and other stakeholders.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interviews, orients and assesses clients regarding key components of psycho social rehabilitation. Assesses and evaluates clients’ psycho-social and vocational rehabilitation needs through collaborating with the client to determine their interests, skills and abilities. Establishes a dignifying and purposeful relationship with clients, contacting and getting to know them as unique individuals with unique recovery journeys while sharing own personal stories, successes and challenges.
- Plans, implements, facilitate and assess activities as they relate to the particular component of service being delivered.
- Plans, implements and facilitates stakeholder engagement activities; including community advisory groups, member and resident advisory groups or other activities which increase the involvement of community, natural supports and peers.
- Assist clients in their own homes and in the community to support increased independence and self-determination. This may include assisting clients with cooking, budgeting, attending appointments by either providing transportation when necessary, or teaching transportation routes/methods as required, etc.
- Monitors clients’ well-being with the ability to recognize potential mental health emergencies and respond appropriately.
- Provides accurate reports including statistical data and log notes on clients’ progress. Reports on clients’ progress made towards goals and objectives as required. Provide feedback and motivation to clients on an on-going and individual basis, via regular service plan reviews, re-visiting and re-evaluating goals and highlighting accomplishments.
- Facilitates groups as required regarding life-skills, wellness, job search and other topics relevant to the population served.
- Collaborates with other professionals as needed. Liaises with other community services and organizations. Builds positive relationships with current and potential employers.
- Adheres to the policies and standards of Options Community Services, as established in policy and program manuals, Health & Safety Guidelines, job descriptions, written memos, and verbal agreements.
- Ensure program facilities and equipment are well maintained and safe.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree or a related combination of education and experience.
- Specific training includes recreational, vocational and/or occupational therapy.
- Current Level I First Aid certificate.
- Class 5 Drivers License and reliable vehicle for business purposes.
- Lived experience of mental illness and recovered/recovering.
- Completion of/eligible for completion of a recognized peer support training program.
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of the value of lived experience and family involvement.
- Effective interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Group facilitation skills
- Must demonstrate an ability to work effectively with the client group.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as part of a staff team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop program related reference and resource materials.
- Commitment to a problem solving approach.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Crisis Line experience an asset.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search preceding your start date.
* An eligibility list will be maintained for up to 6 months.
Resumes will be reviewed starting November 26, 2020 but the posting will remain open until filled and will close without notice.
Please include a cover letter clearly indicating the posting number [#A21687] and outlining your qualifications and related experience for the position.