COSTI REQUIRES A LIFE SKILLS WORKER FOR ITS RALPH CHIODO FAMILY IMMIGRANT RECEPTION CENTRE
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement,
employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI,
please visit our website at www.costi.org.
This position will provide services primarily to clients who require Life Skills Support, but not exclusively to your language group.
This is an on-call, needs based position, scheduled to work variable hours*
- Provide orientation to assigned cases on topics such as health & safety, safe use of home amenities, hygiene and housekeeping, financial literacy/banking, shopping, use of public transit system, parenting, cultural norms and other topics as identified through needs assessment process.
- Provide training to families on proper cleaning, use of cleaning supplies, storage of groceries, cleaning of appliances, use of communal laundry facilities, disposal of garbage and recycling.
- Observe and supervise families demonstrate they can adequately take care of their settlement needs as listed above and are able to function independently/safely and confidently.
- Provide accompaniment to services such as bank, school, shopping for grocery, visit to a community center, post office and other essential businesses to familiarize clients with necessary services and observe their progress and provide on-spot training and support.
- Undertake Community Walk with Reception Centre residents within the Reception Centre areas on regular basis.
- Work closely with COSTI’s Client Support Services’ (CSS) case worker to ensure well –coordinated delivery of services and avoid duplication and client confusion.
- Provide translation and interpretation and /or translation if applicable/as needed.
- Develop and update client progress report to be reviewed by the program assistant manager and determine either continuation of support or to terminate and graduate the GAR families or individuals.
- Seek out additional support for families as required in coordination with CSS worker.
- Compile regular client progress report for submission to program assistant manager.
- Community College Diploma in Social Services.
- Experience providing life skills coaching to immigrants and refugees with high needs. This includes: advocating on behalf of the client, effectively manage a client in crisis.
- Ability to clearly explain and model instruction to others.
- Demonstrated use the computer for emails, reports and accessing internet for research is required.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Willingness to travel, via TTC to accompany clients to appointments and to work in clients’ place of residence/home.
- Must be able to speak one or more of the following languages: Arabic, Somali, Tigrinya, Oromo, Swahili and any Berber languages.
- Willingness to work variable/flexible hours with advance notice.