The David Foster Foundation is a non-profit, charitable organization dedicated to providing financial support to families whose children are going through the life-saving organ transplant process. The Foundation works in collaboration with transplant teams across Canada to provide support for children up to and including their 18th birthday year once they are listed for pediatric transplant to post-operative checkup. For the past 33 years this innovative, accountable, and worthy foundation has assisted over 1,200 families with children in need.
Chemistry Consulting has been retained by, and is proud to partner with The David Foster Foundation, to search for a CPA designated Director of Finance.
The Director of Finance is responsible for all finance-related matters of the Foundation. This includes budgeting, reporting, recording financial transactions, issuing tax receipts, and liaising with auditors, investment managers, and insurance agents. The Director of Finance reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and works collaboratively as part of the small team of five on various fundraising and organ donor awareness initiatives and projects. Just imagine being part of this small but mighty team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly financial statements for the CEO and monthly financial reports for presentation to the Board of Directors
- Prepare payroll ensuring appropriate calculations for taxable benefits and tax remittances, administer employee benefits program, prepare year-end tax slips and summary
- Review and record expense invoices, credit card disbursements, and expense reports and prepare summaries for CEO’s review and approval for payment, and process payments
- Prepare disbursements to families ensuring appropriate approvals are in place. Review the appropriateness of receipts received from families and record receipts.
- Deposit and record donations in fundraising database, issue tax receipts, and follow up on pledges
- Reconcile banks and balance sheet accounts and ensure donations in the fundraising database reconcile to the general ledger
- Review and investigate variances on financial statements to budget and prior periods
- Manage cashflow requirements and liaise with CEO and investment managers to reinvest in accordance with internal investment policies
- Review monthly investment reports and record investment activity
- Prepare year-end working papers and financial statements for the year end audit and liaise with auditors in Canada and the US
- In collaboration with the CEO, prepare budgets and reforecasts
- Prepare statutory reports including the Registered Charity Information Return
- Prepare other financial reports including AGM financial presentations, fundraising event reports, family funding reports, and weekly reports
- Implement effective internal controls and processes to ensure appropriate approvals of disbursements, the completeness and accuracy of financial information, and the efficiency of financial processes
- Collaborate with team on quarterly newsletter, fundraising and organ donor awareness initiatives, and other projects
- Assist with special events planning and other activities as needed
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation
- 5 -10 years accounting experience with a minimum of 2 years at the management level
- Demonstrated experience in exercising independent judgment to evaluate issues and provide fully supported recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to act proactively to identify operational challenges and implement action plans to meet organizational goals
- Highly effective written and oral communicator, comfortable with presentations to the Board of Directors and other levels of audience
- Must have excellent organizational skills, be a self-starter, be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, extremely detail-oriented, thorough, precise, and able to work independently and manage/prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Highly motivated to work collaboratively with team members on various projects and in different capacities with a can-do attitude to get things done and done well
- Proficient in MS Office including advanced skills in Excel
- Experience with Sage 50 and Raiser’s Edge or similar software
- Experience in the non-profit sector is an asset