Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Payroll Clerk is responsible for the payroll process, making sure the organization pays employees accurately and on time. In addition, the role also assists in benefits administration for all Epic Opportunities employees.
The wage range depending on qualifications, education and experience is $16.00-$19.45/hour.
- Payroll; Process and ensure security of bi-weekly payroll, electronic filing and prepare for final approval. Distribute employee pay stubs. Manage employee accumulators (vacation and sick) including updating accumulation rates. Notify Coordinators when employees are out of vacation or sick time. Ensure accurate deductions from employee pay, including union dues and garnishments where applicable. Issue Wage Change Form to Directors and Coordinators in advance of regular employee wage increases. Process employee salary and wage changes in a timely manner. Ensure accuracy of employee offers of employment, payroll adjustment forms, payroll information forms and other forms. Post bi-weekly payroll journal entries into accounting software. Work in conjunction with Accounting Manager to review and evaluate payroll function to determine most efficient, effective and accountable methods regarding payroll system. Ensure ROE’s and T4’s are issued in a timely manner. Ensure TD1’s are completed and filed as required. Ensure payroll portion of personnel files are up to date. Ensure the shredding of payroll files as per policy. Answer inquiries and provide financial information to WCB, MPI, EI, etc. according to legislation and Epic Opportunities policy requirements. Respond to employment verification requests according to policy. Create payroll reports as required for job efficiency and accountability. Create and provide payroll reports for management as requested.
- Benefits Administration; Enroll eligible employees on to the group benefits package and/or RRSP, managing changes in a timely manner. Communicate benefits information to new enrollees. Distribute drug cards and other relevant information about the group insurance plan to employees. Be available to answer employee questions. Assure that accurate benefit premiums are deducted from payroll. Provide and maintain a supply of benefit information forms, booklets, etc. Regularly review and verify insurance rates and salary adjustments. Ensure employees are removed from benefits when they no longer meet qualifications.
- Communication; Keep up to date knowledge and a good understanding of Employment Standards Legislation, The Income Tax Act and Regulations, Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, etc. to ensure Epic Opportunities meets legislative requirements. Participate in the advancement of professional growth in this field keeping abreast of trends and developments. Maintain membership and participation in the Canadian Payroll Association. Communicate with management about the required payroll information and submission of forms. Prepare employee correspondence, in conjunction with the Accounting Manager, related to payroll issues as required. Ensure team approach by communicating effectively with others to resolve problems for smooth payroll outcomes.
Education & Experience
- Certified Payroll Manager preferred; other CPA certifications will be considered as well.
- Three years of experience in computerized payroll.
- Excellent working knowledge of computerized payroll programs, QuickBooks, Windows, Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook required.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrate a commitment to the mission and purpose of Epic Opportunities.
- Consistent demonstration of professional business etiquette and communication.
- Experience in data collection, entry and reporting with meticulous attention to detail, ability to see and address anomalies in data.
- Familiarity with general accounting principles.
- Accurate word processing and excellent grammar/writing skills.
- Highly organized with excellent file management skills.
- Ability to prioritize work in a busy environment and meet time deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication abilities with aptitude in problem-solving.
- Reliable and responsible.
- Good interpersonal skills with a variety of individuals.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- Child Abuse Registry Check.